Transition matrix of a paint ball game

In summary: Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transition matrix for a paint ball game where three competitors, Alice, Tom, and Chloe, have different probabilities of hitting their targets. The game is played so that all survivors shoot simultaneously, with each competitor targeting the most accurate opponent. The conversation also mentions the presence of absorbing states when only one or no shooters are left alive. The conversation concludes with a discussion on how to construct the state transition matrix, which is an 8x8 matrix, and the probability of transitioning from one state to another.
CTK
Moved from technical forum so no template
Summary: Finding the transition matrix of a paint ball game where only 3 probabilities are given.

We have the following question:

Alice, Tom, and Chloe are competing in paint ball. Alice hits her target 40% of the time, Tom hits his target 25% of the time, and Chloe hits her target 30% of the time. The game is played so that all survivors shoot simultaneously, and each competitor shoots at the opponent that is most accurate. Represent the game as a Markov chain where the states of the chain are the survivors.
Hint: there is/are absorbing states.

If we want to find its transition matrix, then is it as follows:

\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0.6 & 0.4 \\
0.25 & 0 & 0.75 \\
0.7 & 0.3 & 0
\end{bmatrix}

Note: I have no idea why it is not converting to a matrix shape, sorry, so the matrix is as follows:

P = 0 0.6 0.4

0.25 0 0.75

0.7 0.3 0

I am pretty certain that it is wrong because the hint says that there is/are some absorbing states...so any suggestions regarding how to fix my transition matrix would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There certainly are absorbing states when only one or zero shooters are left alive.
I think your set of states for the state transition matrix is not detailed enough. Remember that the states must adequately summarize the situation at any time during the game. I don't think yours does that. Suppose a state is the set of people still alive: (a,t,c), (t,c), (a,c), (a,t), (a), (t), (c), (). Can you make an 8x8 state transition matrix for that?

FactChecker said:
There certainly are absorbing states when only one or zero shooters are left alive.
I think your set of states for the state transition matrix is not detailed enough. Remember that the states must adequately summarize the situation at any time during the game. I don't think yours does that. Suppose a state is the set of people still alive: (a,t,c), (t,c), (a,c), (a,t), (a), (t), (c), (). Can you make an 8x8 state transition matrix for that?
Thanks for the reply. So if we do what you just explained above and if we denote (a,t,c) to be 1, (t,c) to be 2, (a,c) to be 3, etc. then, for example, what would be the prob. of going from (a,t,c) to (t,c)? I just want to know how to do one of them and I will try to do the rest...
Also, how come can we have a state of () where all are dead? How is it possible? Shouldn't one at least still survive?
thanks for your help, it is really appreciate it.

CTK said:
Thanks for the reply. So if we do what you just explained above and if we denote (a,t,c) to be 1, (t,c) to be 2, (a,c) to be 3, etc. then, for example, what would be the prob. of going from (a,t,c) to (t,c)? I just want to know how to do one of them and I will try to do the rest...thanks for your help, it is really appreciate it.
Starting from the state (a,t,c), the rules say that a shoots at c, t shoots at a, and c shoots at a. To arrive at (t,c) it must be true that a missed, and at least one of t or c hit a. The probability of that is (1-.4)(0.25+0.3-0.25*0.3) = 0.6*0.475 = 0.285

CTK said:
Also, how come can we have a state of () where all are dead? How is it possible? Shouldn't one at least still survive?
@FactChecker has already given you lots of useful points regarding the actual state space (which is 8-dimensional and not 3-dimensional) so let me just address this.

Consider the state (t,c). Both t and c will aim for each other and both will hit with a probability of 0.25*0.3 = 0.075. In this case the game transitions to the state (). Note: This is only one example of how you could arrive at the state ().

Likes FactChecker
FactChecker said:
Starting from the state (a,t,c), the rules say that a shoots at c, t shoots at a, and c shoots at a. To arrive at (t,c) it must be true that a missed, and at least one of t or c hit a. The probability of that is (1-.4)(0.25+0.3-0.25*0.3) = 0.6*0.475 = 0.285

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Orodruin said:
@FactChecker has already given you lots of useful points regarding the actual state space (which is 8-dimensional and not 3-dimensional) so let me just address this.

Consider the state (t,c). Both t and c will aim for each other and both will hit with a probability of 0.25*0.3 = 0.075. In this case the game transitions to the state (). Note: This is only one example of how you could arrive at the state ().
Yes, I think I have finally figured it out. Thank you very much for your input as well, it is appreciated.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a transition matrix in the context of a paintball game?

A transition matrix in a paintball game is a mathematical representation of the probability of a player moving from one state to another during the game. Each state represents a different action or event, such as shooting, moving, or getting hit. The matrix helps to analyze and predict the outcome of the game based on the actions of the players.

2. How is a transition matrix created for a paintball game?

A transition matrix is created by observing and recording the actions of players during a paintball game. The data is then organized into a matrix format, with rows and columns representing the different states and the values in the cells representing the probabilities of transitioning from one state to another. The matrix can also be adjusted and updated based on the results of multiple games to improve its accuracy.

3. What factors can affect the transition matrix in a paintball game?

The transition matrix in a paintball game can be affected by various factors, such as the skill level of the players, the layout of the playing field, the type of equipment used, and the rules of the game. These factors can influence the actions and decisions of the players, which in turn can affect the probabilities in the matrix.

4. How can a transition matrix be used to improve a paintball game?

A transition matrix can be used to analyze and identify patterns in the actions of players during a paintball game. This information can be used to make strategic decisions, such as adjusting team formations or predicting the movements of opponents. It can also be used to identify areas for improvement and to develop new tactics and strategies.

5. Are there any limitations to using a transition matrix in a paintball game?

While a transition matrix can provide valuable insights and predictions, it is not a perfect representation of a paintball game. It relies on the accuracy and completeness of the data collected, and it may not account for unexpected events or actions. Additionally, the matrix may need to be constantly updated as players and game conditions change. Therefore, it should be used as a tool to inform decision-making rather than a definitive predictor of outcomes.