1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apparent magnitude of a light bulb

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the apparent magnitude of a 100W light bulb at a distance of 3 m?

[Hint: Compare with the Sun to eliminate the unknown constant in the expression relating flux density to apparent magnitude.]

. The solar luminosity is [itex]L \approx 4 \times 10^{26} W[/itex].
    . The Earth-Sun distance is approximately [itex]1.5 \times 10^8 km[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

[itex]m-M=5log \frac{d}{10}[/itex]
    [itex]m=-2.5log \frac{l}{l_{0}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attempted to substitute m into the equation for m-M but I do not see how that helps me eliminate the unknown constant (which I assume is [itex]l_{0}[/itex]. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello icedragon,

Welcome to Physics Forums (PF)!
    Where did that formula come from? What's d and where did the '10' come from?
    (In your equation you are using [itex] l [/itex]'s as in 'lesson'. But they should be capitol [itex] I [/itex]'s as in 'Intensity'.)

That looks right if the relative magnitude of [itex] I_0 [/itex] is 0 (which is just fine for what we're doing in this problem).

The more general formula is

[tex] m_1 - m_0 = -2.5 \log \frac{I_1}{I_0} [/tex]
    which you can then set [itex] m_0 = 0[/itex] if you want [itex] m_1 [/itex] to be relative to 0 magnitude. But you'll still need to solve for [itex] I_0 [/itex] if you wish to do that.
    If it helps, the relative magnitude of the sun is -27 (relative to magnitude 0)*. Your first step is to use that and solve for [itex] I_0 [/itex].

*(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnitude_%28astronomy%29)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook