Luminosity of the Earth covered in bulbs

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison of power output between a 100W light bulb covering the surface of the Earth and the luminosity of the Sun. The calculations involve the surface area of the Earth, the ratio of the luminosity of the Sun to the Earth-bulb, and the determination of the wattage needed for each light bulb to match the luminosity of the Sun. A calculator error was identified in the initial attempt at a solution.
Stendhal
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known ddata
a.) Assume that a 100W light bulb covers 30cm^2 of area, and covers the surface of the Earth (land and water) with such 100W bulbs. How would the total power output compare with the luminosity of the Sun? Note: L_sun = 10^26W and the radius of the Earth is 6*10^6 meters.

b.) Which wattage would each light bulb need to be to make the luminosity of the entire Earth equal to the luminosity of the Sun?

Homework Equations

Surface area = 4πr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Studying for finals and found an old test problem that I got wrong.

Initially I calculated the Surface area of the Earth
4*π*(6*10^6 m )^2 = 4.5 * 10^14 m^2 = 4.5 * 10^20 cm^2

I set the surface area of the Earth over the area of the bulb and multiplied that by the wattage of the bulb:

SA/A = (4.5*10^20 cm^2)/(30 cm^2) = 1.5 * 10^19 * 100W = 1.5 * 10^21 W

Then made a ratio of the luminosity of the Sun over the Earth-bulb:

Ls/Le = 10^26/1.5 * 10^21 ≈ 7 * 10^4 difference.

For part b, each bulb would have to be 100 times more luminous, so 100^2 W instead of just 100W.

This isn't what I did on the test, rather what I did just now. I don't quite know if this is correct, so I'm hoping someone could verify if it is or not. Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 100 cm in 1 m, so 10^14 m^2 is 10^18 cm^2, not 10^20 cm^2.

Ah, yes, thank you. I made a calculator error there. Does everything else seem fine to you?

1. What is the luminosity of the Earth covered in bulbs?

The luminosity of the Earth covered in bulbs would depend on the number and type of bulbs used. However, it is estimated that the Earth's luminosity would increase by at least 3% if every square meter of the Earth's surface was covered in energy-efficient LED bulbs.

2. How does the luminosity of the Earth covered in bulbs affect the environment?

The increase in luminosity from covering the Earth in bulbs would have a minimal impact on the environment. LED bulbs are energy-efficient and produce less heat, reducing the risk of global warming. However, the extraction and production of these bulbs can still have a negative impact on the environment if not done responsibly.

3. Is covering the Earth in bulbs a feasible solution for producing more light?

Covering the Earth in bulbs may seem like a feasible solution for producing more light, but it is not practical or necessary. The Earth already receives enough natural light from the sun, and using more bulbs would only add to light pollution and increase energy consumption.

4. Would the increased luminosity from covering the Earth in bulbs have any impact on human health?

The increased luminosity from covering the Earth in bulbs would not have a direct impact on human health. However, excessive exposure to artificial light at night can disrupt our natural circadian rhythm and have negative effects on sleep patterns and overall health.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of covering the Earth in bulbs?

The potential drawbacks of covering the Earth in bulbs include increased energy consumption and light pollution. It could also have a negative impact on wildlife and disrupt their natural behaviors. Additionally, the production and disposal of these bulbs can have harmful effects on the environment if not managed properly.