Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Appearing out of nothing with defined characteristics?

1. Jan 11, 2012 #1
    Lets consider a point particle that suddenly appears at a position in spacetime. At the instant the particle appeared, did the particle at time=1/oo s have the same physics its action will have later on that piece of spacetime?

Please answer with few descriptions of each mathematical expression. (Note: My message isn't about the Big Bang, however I agree to it completely)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

A particle cannot suddenly appear (from nothing) b/c this violates conservation of energy

4. Jan 12, 2012 #3
    be more clear on what you want to say

5. Jan 12, 2012 #4
    Okay, this is what I meant:

If a point particle suddenly appears as a 'checkable' unit on spacetime, will it be defined simultaneously and act as a commutator for spacetime simultaneously before it disappears t=1/infinity later as the lifespan of the particle is 0 to 1/infinity seconds?

The question is almost the same as the P versus NP problem, which is unsolved in mathematics.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  6. Jan 12, 2012 #5
    Either what you're asking is way over my head or there are some fundamental mis-understandings here. As has been pointed out energy conservation must be observed (as well as a few other symmetries). Furthermore, in quantum field theory time and space are just labels, they're not operators so they don't have commutation relations. Also, what's a 'checkable' unit of spacetime?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook