Application Differentiation Problem

In summary, the problem is to find the maximum volume of a cone created from a piece of paper with a radius of 4 inches. The method of solution involves finding equations for the height and radius of the cone in terms of the angle that the radius of the circle makes with the horizontal. This can then be used to transform the volume formula into a one variable formula and use maxima and minima concepts to find the maximum volume. This method does not involve using Lagrangian or variational principles and should be easy to solve for someone in AP Calculus AB.
Vigo
This is kind of a stupid-sounding problem but here it is:

Stadium Popcorm Problem
A piece of heavy stock paper is cut into a circle with a radius of 4''. The paper is cut form one edge to the center and shaped into a cone-shaped holder. What is the maximum volume of the resulting cone?

Volume of a cone: 1/3pi*r^2*h

This is the exact problem my teacher gave my class and she said if you can do this without my help, it will be extra credit. Well no one in my class knows how to do it and I could really use some extra credit so if someone could help me out that would be great. I guess the title is implying that the problem is related to a snack container at a sports stadium.

I know that I have to differentiate the equation for the volume of a cone but I don't know where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know by what method you are expected to arrive at the solution. Have you ever used a Lagrangian? We want to maximize the volume V(r, h)=1/3*pi*r^2*h, subject to the constraint of surface area S(r,h)=pi*r*sqrt(r^2+h^2)<=pi*R^2. Where r=radius of cone, h=height of cone, R=radius of circle, R=4 inches. From its pretty straight foward. Have you used this method before?

No I have never used this method before. Right now, we are on the chapter of critical points, first and second derivative tests, concavity, and minimum and maximum points. I am only in AP Calculus AB, so the solution should be able to be easily reached. My teacher said that this problem will be related to later sections in this chapter.

hint

Well, lagrangian and/or variational principles are super, but there is a much simpler method of solution.
Find equations for the height and the radius of the cone r and h, in terms of the radius of the circle R and the ANGLE t that R makes with the horizontal (or the angle x between h and R)
____ r
| /
|h /
| / R
|/__t_________
Then use them in the volume formula to transform it in one variable formula and use what you have learned of maxima and minima to find the corresponding t, and from it h and r, and V_max ;).
Regards

Last edited:

What is an application differentiation problem?

An application differentiation problem refers to a problem in which the objective is to find the rate of change of a function at a given point. This is typically done in order to optimize a process or find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

What is the difference between application differentiation and regular differentiation?

Application differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function for a specific purpose, such as optimization, while regular differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function for general purposes. Application differentiation is more focused on solving real-world problems.

What are some common applications of differentiation in science?

Differentiation is commonly used in science to analyze rates of change in natural phenomena. For example, it can be used to study the growth rates of populations, the rates of chemical reactions, and the changes in physical properties of matter.

What are some techniques used to solve application differentiation problems?

There are several techniques used to solve application differentiation problems, including the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules help to simplify the process of finding derivatives and can be applied to various types of functions.

Why is application differentiation important in scientific research?

Application differentiation is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to study and understand complex systems and processes. By analyzing rates of change, scientists can make predictions, optimize processes, and make informed decisions based on their findings.