1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the Magnitude of Theta to Maximize Volume of a Cone

1. Mar 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sector with central angle θ is cut from a circle of radius R = 6 inches, and the edges of the sector are brought together to form a cone. Find the magnitude of θ such that the volume of the cone is a maximum.

2. Relevant equations
    Volume of a Cone = ⅓ * π * r2 * h

Area of a Sector of a Circle = R2/2 * Θ

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, this problem is a lot like other cone/volume problems I have done before, but I have never had to find the magnitude of Theta before.

Normally, I would use the Pythagorean Theorem to determine what to sub in for "r" in the Volume of a Cone equation (in this case, that would be 36-h2 = r which can be determined by using the Pythagorean theorem as R2 = r2 + h2. In this problem "R" always = 6).

I know I can use this information to determine the critical numbers of "h," but I can't seem to determine when the Area of a Sector of a Circle would come into play. It is related to "R," which is always 6 in this problem, so I determined that this equation could be simplified to 18*Θ.

I attempted a solution by finding the critical numbers as I mentioned above and plugged those into Θ, but that doesn't really make sense to me. Any guidance would be appreciated. I don't want to be given the answer, obviously -- This isn't the forum for that. But, any hint or clue would be amazing.

Thank you so much.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

To find theta with your optimal value of r (or h), think about the circumference of the cone base. Where does it come from? How is the length of this related to the original circle with a section cut out?

4. Mar 18, 2017 #3
    Is r = sin(Θ½)? I had thought of that, but I think I confused myself by solving for 18Θ early on.

5. Mar 18, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

r cannot be the sine of anything, that wouldn't work in terms of dimensions - there is no reason why r should be smaller than 1.
    I have no idea where 18Θ comes from.

6. Mar 18, 2017 #5
    The 18Θ came from the Area of a Sector of a Circle formula (R2*½*Θ).

7. Mar 18, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

That area is related to the cone surface area, which you don't need.

8. Mar 18, 2017 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Avoid plugging in ##R = 6## until the last minute; that way, you can tell where the various numbers are coming from. Not only that, you get a more general formula.

Anyway, if you cut out a sector of angle ##\theta## from a circle of radius ##R##, then fold it up into a cone, what is the radius of the base of the cone (call it ##r##)?

Now you have the cone's base ##r## and slanted-side length ##R##, so you can determine its height ##h## and thus find its volume.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  9. Mar 18, 2017 #8
    Hmm... 2π - ##\theta##?

So, am I better off approaching this in Pythagorean form using ##r##(2π - ##\theta##); ##R##; and ##h##2 = ##R##2 - ##r##2?

10. Mar 19, 2017 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That cannot be a radius.

The circumference of the original full circle is 2πR, right?
    After the sector is removed, what length of that remains?
    When formed into a cone, what happens to that part-circle?

11. Mar 19, 2017 #10
    Sorry, I wrote the correct term further down in my post ##r##(2π - ##\theta##).

So, if that's correct, I should be working with: ⅓(2π##r## - ##\theta## ##r##)2π√(##R##2 - ##r##2)

12. Mar 19, 2017 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What is that the answer to?
    Ray defined r as the radius after forming the cone. You want an equation of the form r= some function of R and θ.

13. Mar 19, 2017 #12

mfb

2016 Award

That is the wrong radius.

14. Mar 19, 2017 #13
    Ray wrote: "Anyway, if you cut out a sector of angle θ from a circle of radius R, then fold it up into a cone, what is the radius of the base of the cone (call it r)?"

The radius of the base of the cone would definitely be ##r##2 = ##R##2 - ##h##2. To make this relate to the angle of ##\theta##, the circumference of the base of the cone would be 2π##r## - ##\theta## ##r##, so am I plugging in √(##R##2 - ##h##2) for ##r##?

15. Mar 19, 2017 #14

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, if you know ##h## you can figure out ##r##. However, who tells you the value of ##h##? All you know is ##\theta##.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  16. Mar 19, 2017 #15
    I don't know ##h## or ##r## (except in the formulaic terms mentioned above), I am looking for ##\theta##, and all I am given is ##R## (the radius of the circle from which the sector is cut).

17. Mar 19, 2017 #16

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly; but you can work out a formula for ##r## in terms of ##R## and ##\theta##. (You tried that before, but made some errors.)

In the end, you will get a formula for the volume ##V## in terms of ##R## and ##\theta##, and since ##R## is just a constant input parameter, the only variable involved is ##\theta##.

18. Mar 19, 2017 #17

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Eh? You have a circle radius r. What is its circumference?

19. Mar 19, 2017 #18

mfb

2016 Award

@vr0nvr0n: You are confusing yourself by trying too many steps at once.

What is the circumference of the base of the cone - a full circle with radius r?

Going back to the original circle with radius R with a section cut out: How large was the original circumference, how large is the remaining part of the circumference?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted