Find the Magnitude of Theta to Maximize Volume of a Cone

In summary: I am not sure, but I assume you would use the same formula as the circumference of a circle (2π##r##) but sub in ##r## for ##R## and ##\theta## for ##2π##.In summary, the problem asks to find the angle θ such that the volume of a cone, formed by cutting out a sector of angle θ from a circle of radius R and folding it up, is at its maximum. To find this, the radius of the base of the cone (r) can be determined by using the formula r = √(R2 - h2), where h is the slanted-side length of the cone. The circumference of the base of the cone can be
vr0nvr0n

Homework Statement

A sector with central angle θ is cut from a circle of radius R = 6 inches, and the edges of the sector are brought together to form a cone. Find the magnitude of θ such that the volume of the cone is a maximum.

Homework Equations

Volume of a Cone = ⅓ * π * r2 * h

Area of a Sector of a Circle = R2/2 * Θ

The Attempt at a Solution

So, this problem is a lot like other cone/volume problems I have done before, but I have never had to find the magnitude of Theta before.

Normally, I would use the Pythagorean Theorem to determine what to sub in for "r" in the Volume of a Cone equation (in this case, that would be 36-h2 = r which can be determined by using the Pythagorean theorem as R2 = r2 + h2. In this problem "R" always = 6).

I know I can use this information to determine the critical numbers of "h," but I can't seem to determine when the Area of a Sector of a Circle would come into play. It is related to "R," which is always 6 in this problem, so I determined that this equation could be simplified to 18*Θ.

I attempted a solution by finding the critical numbers as I mentioned above and plugged those into Θ, but that doesn't really make sense to me. Any guidance would be appreciated. I don't want to be given the answer, obviously -- This isn't the forum for that. But, any hint or clue would be amazing.

Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
To find theta with your optimal value of r (or h), think about the circumference of the cone base. Where does it come from? How is the length of this related to the original circle with a section cut out?

mfb said:
To find theta with your optimal value of r (or h), think about the circumference of the cone base. Where does it come from? How is the length of this related to the original circle with a section cut out?

Is r = sin(Θ½)? I had thought of that, but I think I confused myself by solving for 18Θ early on.

vr0nvr0n said:
Is r = sin(Θ½)? I had thought of that, but I think I confused myself by solving for 18Θ early on.
r cannot be the sine of anything, that wouldn't work in terms of dimensions - there is no reason why r should be smaller than 1.
I have no idea where 18Θ comes from.

mfb said:
r cannot be the sine of anything, that wouldn't work in terms of dimensions - there is no reason why r should be smaller than 1.
I have no idea where 18Θ comes from.
The 18Θ came from the Area of a Sector of a Circle formula (R2*½*Θ).

That area is related to the cone surface area, which you don't need.

vr0nvr0n said:

Homework Statement

A sector with central angle θ is cut from a circle of radius R = 6 inches, and the edges of the sector are brought together to form a cone. Find the magnitude of θ such that the volume of the cone is a maximum.

Homework Equations

Volume of a Cone = ⅓ * π * r2 * h

Area of a Sector of a Circle = R2/2 * ΘThank you so much.

Avoid plugging in ##R = 6## until the last minute; that way, you can tell where the various numbers are coming from. Not only that, you get a more general formula.

Anyway, if you cut out a sector of angle ##\theta## from a circle of radius ##R##, then fold it up into a cone, what is the radius of the base of the cone (call it ##r##)?

Now you have the cone's base ##r## and slanted-side length ##R##, so you can determine its height ##h## and thus find its volume.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Avoid plugging in ##R = 6## until the last minute; that way, you can tell where the various numbers are coming from. not only that, you get a more general formula.

Anyway, if you cut out a sector of angle ##\theta## from a circle of radius ##R##, then fold it up into a cone, what is the radius of the base of the cone (call it ##r##)?

Now you have the cone's base ##r## and slanted-side length ##R##, so you can determine its height ##h## and thus find its volume.

Hmm... 2π - ##\theta##?

So, am I better off approaching this in Pythagorean form using ##r##(2π - ##\theta##); ##R##; and ##h##2 = ##R##2 - ##r##2?

vr0nvr0n said:
Hmm... 2π - θ?
That cannot be a radius.

The circumference of the original full circle is 2πR, right?
After the sector is removed, what length of that remains?
When formed into a cone, what happens to that part-circle?

haruspex said:
That cannot be a radius.

The circumference of the original full circle is 2πR, right?
After the sector is removed, what length of that remains?
When formed into a cone, what happens to that part-circle?

Sorry, I wrote the correct term further down in my post ##r##(2π - ##\theta##).

So, if that's correct, I should be working with: ⅓(2π##r## - ##\theta## ##r##)2π√(##R##2 - ##r##2)

vr0nvr0n said:
wrote the correct term further down in my post r(2π - θ).
What is that the answer to?
Ray defined r as the radius after forming the cone. You want an equation of the form r= some function of R and θ.

vr0nvr0n said:
Sorry, I wrote the correct term further down in my post ##r(2\pi - \theta)##.
That is the wrong radius.

haruspex said:
What is that the answer to?
Ray defined r as the radius after forming the cone. You want an equation of the form r= some function of R and θ.
Ray wrote: "Anyway, if you cut out a sector of angle θ from a circle of radius R, then fold it up into a cone, what is the radius of the base of the cone (call it r)?"

The radius of the base of the cone would definitely be ##r##2 = ##R##2 - ##h##2. To make this relate to the angle of ##\theta##, the circumference of the base of the cone would be 2π##r## - ##\theta## ##r##, so am I plugging in √(##R##2 - ##h##2) for ##r##?

vr0nvr0n said:
Ray wrote: "Anyway, if you cut out a sector of angle θ from a circle of radius R, then fold it up into a cone, what is the radius of the base of the cone (call it r)?"

The radius of the base of the cone would definitely be ##r##2 = ##R##2 - ##h##2. To make this relate to the angle of ##\theta##, the circumference of the base of the cone would be 2π##r## - ##\theta## ##r##, so am I plugging in √(##R##2 - ##h##2) for ##r##?

OK, if you know ##h## you can figure out ##r##. However, who tells you the value of ##h##? All you know is ##\theta##.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
OK, if you know ##h## you can figure out ##r##. However, who tells you the value of ##h##? All you know is ##\theta##.
I don't know ##h## or ##r## (except in the formulaic terms mentioned above), I am looking for ##\theta##, and all I am given is ##R## (the radius of the circle from which the sector is cut).

vr0nvr0n said:
I don't know ##h## or ##r## (except in the formulaic terms mentioned above), I am looking for ##\theta##, and all I am given is ##R## (the radius of the circle from which the sector is cut).

Exactly; but you can work out a formula for ##r## in terms of ##R## and ##\theta##. (You tried that before, but made some errors.)

In the end, you will get a formula for the volume ##V## in terms of ##R## and ##\theta##, and since ##R## is just a constant input parameter, the only variable involved is ##\theta##.

vr0nvr0n said:
circumference of the base of the cone would be 2πr- θr
Eh? You have a circle radius r. What is its circumference?

Likes mfb
@vr0nvr0n: You are confusing yourself by trying too many steps at once.

What is the circumference of the base of the cone - a full circle with radius r?

Going back to the original circle with radius R with a section cut out: How large was the original circumference, how large is the remaining part of the circumference?

What is the equation for finding the magnitude of theta to maximize volume of a cone?

The equation for finding the magnitude of theta to maximize volume of a cone is:
V = (1/3)πr^2h tan^2θ

What does each variable in the equation represent?

The variable V represents the volume of the cone, r represents the radius of the base, h represents the height of the cone, and θ represents the angle between the base and the slant height of the cone.

Why is finding the magnitude of theta important in maximizing the volume of a cone?

The angle θ determines the shape of the cone, and the larger the angle, the larger the volume of the cone will be. By finding the maximum angle, we can determine the optimal shape of the cone for maximum volume.

How can I determine the maximum volume of a cone using the equation?

To determine the maximum volume of a cone, you can use calculus to find the derivative of the volume equation with respect to θ, set it equal to zero, and solve for θ. The resulting value of θ will give you the maximum volume.

Are there any real-world applications for finding the maximum volume of a cone?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for finding the maximum volume of a cone. For example, this equation can be used in engineering and construction to determine the optimal shape for storage containers, cooling towers, and other structures that have a conical shape.