Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Application of Fourier series to pressure waves

1. May 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that a pressure wave produces a change in pressure at a point in space [tex]\Delta P(t)[/tex] which is proportional to a sawtooth function of frequency f = 1/2 Hz.

(i) If the amplitude of the pressure wave is [tex]\Delta P_{0}[/tex], write down an expression for [tex]\Delta P(t)[/tex].

(ii) Two oscillators, designed to respond to changes in pressure, resonate at a frequency f = 3/2 Hz and f = 5/4 Hz respectively. When the pressure wave encounters the oscillators, which of these will resonate and why?

2. Relevant equations

The Fourier expansion of a sawtooth function [tex] f(x) = x, -1 < x < 1 [/tex] is given by

[tex] f(x) = \sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \frac{-2(-1)^{r}}{\pi r} \sin{\pi r x} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Is the previous equation simply the answer to part (i) with the x's replaced with t's? Or is there a bit more to it? I think I'm missing something pretty obvious.

For part (ii), we know that [tex] r \pi t = 2 \pi ft [/tex] and hence [tex]r = 2f[/tex]. For f = 3/2 Hz, r = 3 and for f = 5/4 Hz, r = 5/2. Would only the first resonate as it is the only one that produces r that is an integer and hence satisfies the expansion above?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have to get the amplitude right as well.
    Yes. The sawtooth pressure wave contains harmonics with frequencies equal to integral multiples of 1/2 Hz, so it has a 3/2-Hz component but lacks a 5/4-Hz component and will excite only the one resonator.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook