Application of wavelets in computational electromagnetics

In summary, a first year graduate student is taking a course on wavelets and plans to explore their application in computational electromagnetics. They are seeking suggestions for specific CEM problems to work on and are familiar with Maxwell's equations. They are also looking for recommended resources, such as the book "Wavelet and Spectral Methods for Computational Electromagnetics."
akhil123
Hello everyone,

I am a first year graduate student, wavelets is one of the courses that I am taking presently. As part of the course, I plan to explore application of wavelets in computational electromagnetics (CEM). The idea behind it is to study a few applications where wavelets are used in CEM, code/simulate them and explain their computational advantages over conventional CEM methods like Finite Element,etc. I have a very nominal knowledge of the numerical techniques used in CEM; and time constraints forbid me from exploring or going into depth. Can anybody please suggest a few specific application problems of CEM which I can work on? I understand Maxwell's equations quite well. Also, any references/books/online resources of the suggested application would be extremely helpful to proceed. Thanks a lot for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try this search:
http://azbookfinder.com/search/s.php?q=Wavelet+and+Spectral+Methods+for+Computational+Electromagnetics

Then pick one of the books listed as your main resource.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the concept of wavelets in computational electromagnetics?

Wavelets are mathematical functions that are used to analyze data at different scales or resolutions. In computational electromagnetics, they are used to decompose electromagnetic signals into different frequency components, allowing for a more efficient and accurate analysis of electromagnetic fields.

How are wavelets used in computational electromagnetics?

Wavelets are used in computational electromagnetics for signal processing, data compression, and feature extraction. They can also be used for solving partial differential equations and modeling scattering and diffraction phenomena.

What are the advantages of using wavelets in computational electromagnetics?

Wavelets offer several advantages in computational electromagnetics, including the ability to capture both high and low frequency components of a signal, efficient use of memory and computational resources, and the ability to analyze non-stationary signals.

Are there any limitations to using wavelets in computational electromagnetics?

Although wavelets have many advantages, they also have some limitations. One limitation is the difficulty in selecting an appropriate wavelet basis for a specific problem. Additionally, wavelets may not be suitable for analyzing signals with sharp discontinuities or singularities.

What are some real-world applications of wavelets in computational electromagnetics?

Wavelets have numerous applications in computational electromagnetics, including signal processing in wireless communications, image and data compression, and analysis of electromagnetic fields in antennas, radar systems, and medical imaging.