Application procedure for PhDs (UK)

In summary: The most important thing is to come across as genuinely interested and not just emailing every group leader in the hope that one of them will give you a studentship. Mention any relevant experience or qualifications you have, and how you could contribute to their research.
industrygiant
So I am wanting to start applying for PhDs for entry in Sept/Oct 2012, I graduated from Uni last year so I don't really have any guidance on this! I do have a good idea of what I want to apply to do, and have a list of places I would like to apply (saving this for another thread haha :) ). Consequently I have a couple of questions and I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on them. Should mention that I am applying for places with funding (most probably ESPRC/STEM).

1) Application procedure

Should I email group leaders before I make any formal application to their program? I have read on this forum and maybe one or two department websites that you should do this before applying, but the majority of dept websites just say to apply straight away. As I understand it the application procedure is like this:

Email Group Leaders > Formal application to University (usually online forms) > Interview (around Jan/Feb) > Get Offer

I am also going to be applying for a couple of Doctoral Training Schools, I guess the procedure would be the same?

2) Open Days/Visiting

There seems to be very little information about postgrad open days on a lot of uni websites, do they start later in the year or are they generally not done like at undergrad. I am thinking that if you are successful in getting an interview they will show you around the facilities anyway so that would probably be sufficient tbh.

Conditional 3) Email content

In an email to the group head, what should I mention? I am thinking introduce myself, say why I think their research is interesting and how it fits in with my interests, enquire as to whether there are any studentships coming up for next year. Also I would enclose an academic CV.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
industrygiant said:
1) Application procedure

Should I email group leaders before I make any formal application to their program? I have read on this forum and maybe one or two department websites that you should do this before applying, but the majority of dept websites just say to apply straight away. As I understand it the application procedure is like this:

Email Group Leaders > Formal application to University (usually online forms) > Interview (around Jan/Feb) > Get Offer

This is the general procedure. As for emailing first, it definitely won't harm, but don't be surprised if the response you get is something along the lines of 'thanks for your interest, make a formal application and we'll take it from there', especially for some of the bigger groups.

2) Open Days/Visiting

There seems to be very little information about postgrad open days on a lot of uni websites, do they start later in the year or are they generally not done like at undergrad. I am thinking that if you are successful in getting an interview they will show you around the facilities anyway so that would probably be sufficient tbh.

From my experience, pg open days do not exist. However, as you mention, if you are interviewed then you will be invited to the campus, so will be given a tour, and the chance to chat with different people. The most important people to talk (well, aside from the interview itself) are the current phd students. You should ask them everything, and in fact will be able to gain a less rose-tinted view of the group through them.

Conditional 3) Email content

In an email to the group head, what should I mention? I am thinking introduce myself, say why I think their research is interesting and how it fits in with my interests, enquire as to whether there are any studentships coming up for next year. Also I would enclose an academic CV.

Sure, that sort of stuff sounds suitable.

1. What are the basic requirements for applying to a PhD program in the UK?

The basic requirements for applying to a PhD program in the UK may vary slightly between universities, but generally include a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as a master's degree or equivalent experience. You will also need to provide academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a research proposal.

2. Is there a specific deadline for PhD applications in the UK?

The deadline for PhD applications in the UK may vary between universities and programs, but it is typically around December or January for programs starting in the following September. It is important to check with individual universities for their specific deadlines.

3. Do I need to have a specific research topic in mind when applying for a PhD?

While it is not necessary to have a fully developed research topic when applying for a PhD in the UK, you should have a general idea of your research interests and potential areas of study. This will help you find a suitable supervisor and strengthen your research proposal.

4. Are there any funding opportunities available for PhD programs in the UK?

Yes, there are various funding opportunities available for PhD programs in the UK. These may include scholarships, grants, and funding from research councils or other organizations. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early, as they can be competitive.

5. How long does the application process for a PhD in the UK usually take?

The application process for a PhD in the UK can vary in length, but it typically takes several months from the initial application to receiving an offer of acceptance. It is important to start the application process early and allow enough time for gathering all necessary materials and submitting your application before the deadline.