1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application with 3 A levels only?

1. Aug 25, 2012 #1
    I'm applying to Cambridge Maths. Will I be disadvantaged if I only take 3 A levels and no additional AS? I have no GCSE equivalent as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2012 #2
    Have you checked out The Student room website? You'll get some good advice there.

4. Aug 25, 2012 #3
    The entry requirements on the website says: A*AA + STEP

It also says that A-level maths and AS Further Mathematics is essential.

As long as you have those covered then I don't see why you would be disadvantaged.

5. Aug 25, 2012 #4
    Yeah, but apply anyway. lots of people apply with 4 or 5 or even more A levels. You should still apply, especially since there is nothing you can do about it.

Doing more than 3 A-levels usually a consequence of going to an elite school, which gives you an advantage when applying to cambridge (they do consider the school you went to when you apply. In a fair worl they wouldn't, but they do).

6. Aug 25, 2012 #5
    I've asked there, but the only reply told me to ask the admission officer, who is currently on holiday.

I was told that "most students come with 4 or 5 AS levels, and having 4 AS levels wouldn't disadvantage you". I'm not sure what happens if you only have 3.

I thought it is standard practice to take 4 AS and 3 A2 from what I've heard? Actually, I've still got a year and I'm thinking if I should take an extra AS level.

By the way, according to my understanding, Cambridge would accept students with slightly poorer results if their school is not as good.

7. Aug 27, 2012 #6
    As far as I am aware a larger proportion of Maths applicants get offers since the STEP is tricky and most don't get passed it. Basically if you have good predicted grades, a good personal statement and do well at interview then you certainly have a chance of an offer, of course you have to then get the A-level and STEP results.
    You can certainly succeed at STEP if you do some practice, you get used to the questions. There are plenty of good resources for STEP lots of past papers, a couples of guides and worked solutions here: (http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/step/Test+Preparation [Broken])
    if you don't already have them.
    Plus I reckon preparation for STEP done before the interview would prepare you well for some of the interview questions.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Aug 28, 2012 #7
    As long as one is Maths, one is Further Maths and the other is something sciency (Physics would be a good choice) 3 A levels would be fine. I think the Cambridge maths course is very Physicsy so I would recommend Physics. I believe on their website somewhere they state that doing extra A levels beyond the standard 3 is not advantageous except for Natural Science where doing a broader range of science A levels is helpful to give you a good selection of modules in the earlier years.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook