Applications of Damped Oscillation (in Vibrations): Researching for a Paper

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
Subhadeep Dey
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I've been researching on Damped Oscillation (in vibrations) for a few days for a research paper, however I couldn't find any applications. I would be very thankful if anyone can tell me about its applications.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Subhadeep Dey said:
I've been researching on Damped Oscillation (in vibrations) for a few days for a research paper, however I couldn't find any applications. I would be very thankful if anyone can tell me about its applications.

Every time you ride in a car or a bus, the suspension system uses shock absorbers (or dampers in the UK parlance) of one form or another to keep the passengers from bouncing around continuously every time the vehicle goes over a bump. If these devices weren't employed, vehicles would become hard to control going over rough surfaces, as the amplitude of the oscillations would take a very long time to diminish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_absorber
 
Last edited:
I believe it's used to detect broken strands of steel wire concealed deep within the huge cables supporting suspension bridges.
 
Analog measuring instruments used in mechanical and electrical enginnering
 
application in dynamic stabily of aircraft.espically in lateral directional mode eg- dutch roll unstable aircraft..rectify by dampers