Damped Oscillators and Binomial theorem step

In summary, the conversation is about understanding and using the binomial theorem to expand a quadratic equation in a damped oscillator. The author is having trouble applying the theorem because it has three terms and is only to the first power. They ask for hints and are directed to look into Abramowitch and Stegun's mathematical functions for more information on binomials. The final response provides an explanation of how to use the binomial theorem to expand the equation and the author expresses their gratitude for the help.
Teachme
I uploaded a picture of what I am stuck on. I understand the equation of motion 3.4.5a for a damped oscillator but I don't understand how to use binomial theorem to get the expanded equation 3.4.5b. I am no where near clever enough to figure this one out. I know how to use binomial theorem to expand something with two terms but the fact that this has three terms and is only to the first power throws me off and I don't know how to apply the binomial theorem. If anyone could give me any hints, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks so much for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_20160415_131247610[1].jpg
    IMG_20160415_131247610[1].jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
Teachme said:
I uploaded a picture of what I am stuck on. I understand the equation of motion 3.4.5a for a damped oscillator but I don't understand how to use binomial theorem to get the expanded equation 3.4.5b. I am no where near clever enough to figure this one out. I know how to use binomial theorem to expand something with two terms but the fact that this has three terms and is only to the first power throws me off and I don't know how to apply the binomial theorem. If anyone could give me any hints, I would very much appreciate it.

what i can gather that you are writing the equivalent expressions for a 2nd order operator equation composed of two first order multiples and if you multiply they come out to be same...
the author refers this operation to a binomial expansion - may be the 'mathematicians' may be calling this by the name ' binomial.'
though its factorizing the quadratic equation in D. D being a differential operator-being a physics person we usually use maths as a tool.
but you can see Abramowitch and Stegun - mathematical functions and there is good info on binomials.

the two roots are say D1 and D2 and the two bracketed terms identically goes to zero.

Teachme said:

The factoring has nothing to do with the binomial theorem. All that it is used is: [itex](a^2-b^2)=(a+b)(a-b)[/itex].

mathman said:
The factoring has nothing to do with the binomial theorem. All that it is used is: [itex](a^2-b^2)=(a+b)(a-b)[/itex].
Hey Mathman,
thanks for your response. I think it is obvious that it is a2-b2=(a+b)(a-b) going from the second equation(3.4.5b) to the first equation(3.3.5a) but I don't see how it is ovbious going from equation(3.3.5a) to equation(3.4.5b).

Thanks for you help, much appreciated.

drvrm said:
what i can gather that you are writing the equivalent expressions for a 2nd order operator equation composed of two first order multiples and if you multiply they come out to be same...
the author refers this operation to a binomial expansion - may be the 'mathematicians' may be calling this by the name ' binomial.'
though its factorizing the quadratic equation in D. D being a differential operator-being a physics person we usually use maths as a tool.
but you can see Abramowitch and Stegun - mathematical functions and there is good info on binomials.

the two roots are say D1 and D2 and the two bracketed terms identically goes to zero.

Thank you drvrm,
I will look into that book.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

Teachme said:
Hey Mathman,
thanks for your response. I think it is obvious that it is a2-b2=(a+b)(a-b) going from the second equation(3.4.5b) to the first equation(3.3.5a) but I don't see how it is ovbious going from equation(3.3.5a) to equation(3.4.5b).

Thanks for you help, much appreciated.
The author had something in mind.
[itex]D^2+2\gamma D+\omega_0^2 = D^2+2\gamma D+\gamma^2+\omega_0^2-\gamma^2 = (D+\gamma )^2-(\gamma^2-\omega_0^2)[/itex]

mathman said:
The author had something in mind.
[itex]D^2+2\gamma D+\omega_0^2 = D^2+2\gamma D+\gamma^2+\omega_0^2-\gamma^2 = (D+\gamma )^2-(\gamma^2-\omega_0^2)[/itex]
Oh wow, ok, I see now. You are too smart. Thanks soo much! I Wouldn't have figured that one out!

Very much appreciate your help.

1. What is a damped oscillator?

A damped oscillator is a system that experiences oscillations, or repetitive back-and-forth motions, but gradually loses energy over time due to a dissipative force such as friction or air resistance.

2. How is damping related to the amplitude of oscillations?

The higher the damping, the more quickly the amplitude of oscillations decreases. In other words, a system with high damping will experience smaller oscillations compared to a system with low damping.

3. What is the binomial theorem step?

The binomial theorem step is a mathematical process used to expand binomial expressions, which are expressions with two terms, raised to a certain power. It involves using Pascal's triangle to determine the coefficients of each term in the expanded expression.

4. How is the binomial theorem step used in damped oscillators?

The binomial theorem step is used in damped oscillators to calculate the damping factor, which is a measure of how quickly the amplitude of oscillations decreases. This factor is derived from the coefficients in the binomial expansion of the damping term in the equation of motion for a damped oscillator.

5. Can the binomial theorem step be applied to other mathematical concepts?

Yes, the binomial theorem step can be applied to other mathematical concepts such as probability and statistics, where it is used to expand binomial distributions. It can also be used in calculus to expand functions with binomial coefficients.