Applications of gyroscope in daily life

In summary: Oh🤭Magnetic compass and heading indicator both are used as direction indicators but the difference between them is that magnetic indicator use earths magnetic field where as heading indicator use the rotation of gyroscope (that provides stableReference point) So heading indicator is more accurate than magnetic compassO its means that heading indicator use gyroscope? 🤔Yes, that is correct.
Kumail Haider
Homework Statement
gyroscopic motion refers to the way a spinning object, like a top or a wheel, resists changes to its orientation or direction of rotation
Relevant Equations
The motion equation of a gyroscope is given by:

τ = Iα
Hello! I was just started the topic gyroscopic motion These questions come to my mind. please guide me that how gyroscope is used in mobiles what is its function in mobiles and also want to know their role in aircrafts that how it helps pilot to determine the position of aircraft etc.
Please guide me I'll be thankful

Physics news on Phys.org
What research have you done so far? What have you found out?

Likes Kumail Haider
phinds said:
What research have you done so far? What have you found out?
As a beginner I learnt that gyroscopic motion is the tendency of rotating object to resist any change in its axis. Moreover it body performing gyroscopic motion have angular momentum that is conserved.
The rotating body that have gyroscopic inertia(the ability to resist any change in its axis) and procession is called as gyroscope. However I'm a bit confuse about precession I could not understand the idea of precession in a better way.
These are the few concept that I've learnt yet
And also do a bit research about its applications but probably as I don't understand precession correctly, I'm a bit confuse in the applications of gyroscope.
And I also come to know, after some research that it is also use in navigation as it detects the electrical and megenetic signals. Does pilot get its position by gyroscope due to its property of detection of electrical or magnetic field?
Can you please guide me. Thanks

Regarding application of gyroscopes in mobiles, take note that such devices most commonly use vibrating MEMS gyroscopes as opposed to classical rotating mechanical gyroscopes. Since the moving structure is vibrating rather than rotating you should expect the theory and modeling of the exact dynamic and how it relates to calculation of rotation rates to be a bit different from classical theory.

Likes scottdave and Kumail Haider
An example (or two) about precession:

1. Have you seen or played with a childs toy Top? If yes, what does it do as it slows down?
2. Do you (can you) ride a bicycle? What happens when you make a turn?

Does pilot get its position by gyroscope due to its property of detection of electrical or magnetic field?
Not directly. This will be much easier to answer once 'precession' is learned.

Here is a video that describes precession in a step-by-step way:
(video found with:
https://www.google.com/search?q=precession+site:youtube.com)

Last edited:
Likes Kumail Haider
Filip Larsen said:
Regarding application of gyroscopes in mobiles, take note that such devices most commonly use vibrating MEMS gyroscopes as opposed to classical rotating mechanical gyroscopes. Since the moving structure is vibrating rather than rotating you should expect the theory and modeling of the exact dynamic and how it relates to calculation of rotation rates to be a bit different from classical theory.
Thanks a lot for your guidance. 🙂

Tom.G said:
An example (or two) about precession:

1. Have you seen or played with a childs toy Top? If yes, what does it do as it slows down?
2. Do you (can you) ride a bicycle? What happens when you make a turn?Not directly. This will be much easier to answer once 'precession' is learned.

Here is a video that describes precession in a step-by-step way:
(video found with:
https://www.google.com/search?q=precession+site:youtube.com)

Thanks a lot for providing me with this link. And clearing my concept.☺️ It helps me to understand precession. Now its much clear to me that precession is the deflection (depends on the direction of angular momentum and torque produced) of a rotating object when an external force is applied to it. Am I picking the right concept?
And these calculation helps a pilot in flight?

Kumail Haider said:
And these calculation helps a pilot in flight?

Have a look at the typical flight instruments that a pilot uses, and tell us which ones you think use a gyroscope and why you think that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_instruments

:smile:

400px-Slingsby.t67c.panel.g-bocm.arp.jpg

Likes scottdave and Kumail Haider
berkeman said:
Have a look at the typical flight instruments that a pilot uses, and tell us which ones you think use a gyroscope and why you think that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_instruments

:smile:

View attachment 325116
I guess that compass in aircrafts uses gyroscope.As the gyroscope provides a stable reference plane for the compass, allowing it to maintain a more accurate reading of the aircraft's heading.
I'm not sure but I guess that.

In that Wikipedia article, they refer to a "magnetic compass"... :wink:

EDIT -- what is the difference between that "Magnetic Compass" and the "Heading Indicator" instrument?

Likes Kumail Haider
berkeman said:
In that Wikipedia article, they refer to a "magnetic compass"... :wink:

EDIT -- what is the difference between that "Magnetic Compass" and the "Heading Indicator" instrument?
Oh🤭
Magnetic compass and heading indicator both are used as direction indicators but the difference between them is that magnetic indicator use earths magnetic field where as heading indicator use the rotation of gyroscope (that provides stable
Reference point)
So heading indicator is more accurate than magnetic compass

O its means that heading indicator use gyroscope? 🤔
Am I right this time?

Likes berkeman
Yes, I think that's what they are saying. But note the part where they say that the Heading Indicator needs to be re-synchronized with the Magnetic Compass occasionally. What is the reason they give for that?

Likes Kumail Haider
berkeman said:
Yes, I think that's what they are saying. But note the part where they say that the Heading Indicator needs to be re-synchronized with the Magnetic Compass occasionally. What is the reason they give for that?
The point I understand is that the heading indicator get affected by the precession and then start giving inaccurate direction then pilot re adjust it in accordance to the magnetic compass.

And thanks a you help me a lot in clearing this concept 😊

Last edited:
Kumail Haider said:
So heading indicator is more accurate than magnetic compass
The gyro compass is able to track turns very precisely making it much easier for the pilot to roll out on the desired heading after a turn, but over time the gyro will drift. The magnetic compass has the opposite characteristics, it reacts very sluggish during a turn but if suitably corrected for variation and deviation it will provide excellent heading after flying straight for a while. So standard procedure is to regularly set the gyro compass from the magnetic compass, especially before a turn.

And note there are also two other essential instruments that uses gyroscopes, in case you are interested in more applications of mechanical gyroscopes in in the cockpit.

Likes scottdave, Kumail Haider and berkeman
Filip Larsen said:
And note there are also two other essential instruments that uses gyroscopes, in case you are interested in more applications of mechanical gyroscopes in in the cockpit.
The other two instruments are rate of turn indicator and artificial horizon, that use gyroscope. Am I right?

Kumail Haider said:
The other two instruments are rate of turn indicator and artificial horizon, that use gyroscope. Am I right?
Sounds about right, but it would be good to get the opinion of some of our pilots. @russ_watters and others?

Likes Kumail Haider
Kumail Haider said:
That is correct. The mechanical turn indicator is interesting because it can indicate yaw rate (of the airplane) with a single gyro and a spring. The mechanical artificial horizon is also interesting because, at least in earlier simpler designs, it is susceptible to what is called gimbal lock at certain attitudes (usually in near vertical attitudes).

• Informative
Likes Kumail Haider and berkeman
Filip Larsen said:
That is correct. The mechanical turn indicator is interesting because it can indicate yaw rate (of the airplane) with a single gyro and a spring. The mechanical artificial horizon is also interesting because, at least in earlier simpler designs, it is susceptible to what is called gimbal lock at certain attitudes (usually in near vertical attitudes).
This information is quite interesting.👍

Likes berkeman
Kumail Haider said:
Relevant Equations: The motion equation of a gyroscope is given by:

τ = Iα
I would have said that is just the standard torque / angular acceleration equation. For the precession of a gyroscope I would quote ##\vec\tau=\vec\Omega\times\vec L##, where ##\vec\Omega## is the precession vector. (I may have the sign wrong.)

Likes Kumail Haider
haruspex said:
I would have said that is just the standard torque / angular acceleration equation. For the precession of a gyroscope I would quote ##\vec\tau=\vec\Omega\times\vec L##, where ##\vec\Omega## is the precession vector. (I may have the sign wrong.)
Thanks for your guidance and providing me with this equation.

1. How is a gyroscope used in smartphones?

A gyroscope in smartphones is used to detect and measure the device's orientation and movement. This helps in keeping the screen in the correct orientation, tracking steps and distance traveled, and improving the accuracy of location-based services.

2. What are some common uses of gyroscopes in airplanes?

Gyroscopes are used in airplanes for navigation and stability control. They help pilots maintain the correct heading and prevent the aircraft from rolling or pitching during flight. Gyroscopes are also used in autopilot systems to assist with aircraft control.

3. How do gyroscopes help in stabilizing cameras?

Gyroscopes are used in camera stabilization systems to detect and compensate for any unwanted movements or vibrations. This helps in capturing smooth and steady footage, especially in handheld or action camera shots.

4. Can gyroscopes be used in medical devices?

Yes, gyroscopes are used in various medical devices such as endoscopes, surgical instruments, and prosthetic limbs. They help in precise movement control and stabilization, making procedures safer and more accurate.

5. What are some other everyday applications of gyroscopes?

Gyroscopes are used in gaming controllers, drones, and virtual reality headsets for motion sensing and control. They are also used in cars for stability control and in ships for navigation. Gyroscopes are also commonly used in watches and compasses.