1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applications of realitivty once we can travel at near c

1. Jul 21, 2009 #1
    One application I can think of is that if I had an incurable disease I could go on a one week ride in a spaceship, on return 50 years have passed on earth. Of course if there wasn't a cure I could just go on another trip.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2009 #2
    We can bring a whole new meaning to aged cheese and wine.

4. Jul 21, 2009 #3
    Unfortunately not. To do that we'd have to accelerate the EARTH relative to the wine/cheese. Which is probably not going to happen (unless they plan a continent sized retroburner in the middle of the pacific ocean)

5. Jul 21, 2009 #4
    Quite possible, though not a week. Even if we had a starship that could go 0.9999999c you'd still need to accelerate to that speed at an acceleration that wouldn't kill the crew. Unfortunately us flesh bags can only stand around a couple g's for extended periods of time so it'd take quite a while to get up to speed.

6. Jul 21, 2009 #5
    How much more acceleration could a frozen human body withstand? I know cryogenic freezing AND relativistic travel are a little much to ask for but it's a thought.

EDIT: I guess the term I'm looking for is human cryonics.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  7. Jul 21, 2009 #6
    Ok maybe a week:50 year ratio is ureasonable considering the the g's and the human body. What IS a more reasonable timeframe/withstandableg's. And to get back on topic, you could leave the wine and cheese on earth and go on a trip come back and it be well aged.

8. Jul 21, 2009 #7
    I can't say I know. Human physiology isn't really my think although I feel like either the americans or soviets probably did some experiments at some point. Of course that assumes cryo ever works which, from my understanding, the ice crystal problem could be quite... well problematic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook