Applications of realitivty once we can travel at near c

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a spaceship to travel at near light speed and return to Earth where a significant amount of time has passed. This could be used as a potential cure for incurable diseases. However, the limitations of human physiology and the challenges of cryogenic freezing and relativistic travel are also mentioned. The concept of aged wine and cheese on Earth while on a space trip is also brought up. The conversation ends with the topic of human cryonics and the uncertainty of its success.
dshea
One application I can think of is that if I had an incurable disease I could go on a one week ride in a spaceship, on return 50 years have passed on earth. Of course if there wasn't a cure I could just go on another trip.

Physics news on Phys.org
We can bring a whole new meaning to aged cheese and wine.

Pupil said:
We can bring a whole new meaning to aged cheese and wine.

Unfortunately not. To do that we'd have to accelerate the EARTH relative to the wine/cheese. Which is probably not going to happen (unless they plan a continent sized retroburner in the middle of the pacific ocean)

dshea said:
One application I can think of is that if I had an incurable disease I could go on a one week ride in a spaceship, on return 50 years have passed on earth. Of course if there wasn't a cure I could just go on another trip.
Quite possible, though not a week. Even if we had a starship that could go 0.9999999c you'd still need to accelerate to that speed at an acceleration that wouldn't kill the crew. Unfortunately us flesh bags can only stand around a couple g's for extended periods of time so it'd take quite a while to get up to speed.

maverick_starstrider said:
Quite possible, though not a week. Even if we had a starship that could go 0.9999999c you'd still need to accelerate to that speed at an acceleration that wouldn't kill the crew. Unfortunately us flesh bags can only stand around a couple g's for extended periods of time so it'd take quite a while to get up to speed.

How much more acceleration could a frozen human body withstand? I know cryogenic freezing AND relativistic travel are a little much to ask for but it's a thought.

EDIT: I guess the term I'm looking for is human cryonics.

Last edited:
Ok maybe a week:50 year ratio is ureasonable considering the the g's and the human body. What IS a more reasonable timeframe/withstandableg's. And to get back on topic, you could leave the wine and cheese on Earth and go on a trip come back and it be well aged.

Razzor7 said:
How much more acceleration could a frozen human body withstand? I know cryogenic freezing AND relativistic travel are a little much to ask for but it's a thought.

EDIT: I guess the term I'm looking for is human cryonics.

I can't say I know. Human physiology isn't really my think although I feel like either the americans or soviets probably did some experiments at some point. Of course that assumes cryo ever works which, from my understanding, the ice crystal problem could be quite... well problematic.

1. How does Einstein's theory of relativity affect time travel?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that time is relative and can be affected by an object's speed and gravity. As an object's speed approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object. This means that as we approach the speed of light, time travel becomes possible as we can travel to the future at a faster rate compared to someone who is stationary.

2. Can we travel at the speed of light using Einstein's theory of relativity?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, objects with mass cannot travel at the speed of light. As an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to reach the speed of light. However, we can get close to the speed of light, which would still result in time dilation and allow for time travel.

3. How does Einstein's theory of relativity affect space travel?

Einstein's theory of relativity also affects space travel as it explains the concept of space-time. As an object's speed increases, it experiences time dilation, which means that time passes slower for that object compared to a stationary object. This also affects the distance traveled, as the faster an object travels, the shorter the distance appears to be.

4. Is faster-than-light travel possible with Einstein's theory of relativity?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, faster-than-light travel is not possible. As an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate to the speed of light. Additionally, as an object's speed increases, the energy required to accelerate it further also increases, making it impossible to reach the speed of light.

5. How does Einstein's theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Einstein's theory of relativity has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe. It explains how gravity works and how space and time are intertwined. It also allows for the possibility of time travel and has been used to make predictions about the behavior of objects in the universe, such as black holes. Overall, it has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and continues to be a fundamental theory in modern physics.