1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applications of the Differential Eignevalue Problem

1. May 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

following from this post; https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=312075", I would like to know why people generally think the Differential Eigenvalue Problem is interesting? eg why is there a fair amount of current research into this?

2. Relevant equations

\lambda y = Ly, where L is a linear operator, \lambda is an eigenvalue. y is an eigenfunction corresponding to the eigenvalue.

3. The attempt at a solution

Searched Google, wikipedia, encylc. Britannica.

I know that large systems are hard to solve for the differential eigenvalue problem, so i am presuming this is partly why the research effort. But I'm stabbing in the dark. - I need something in detail please. Or a site / book where i can find the information?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2009 #2
    I can give you one example... One of the most important equations in Quantum Physics is the Schrodinger Equation, which is basically a differential eigenvalue problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook