1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applications of the Equations of Kinematics

1. Jun 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please help me with this problem. If you could at least give me the formula I could probably figure it out. I have worked out all of my homework but this one.

Please type out the formula in word form. I have a hard time figuring out what is squared and what all is under the division symbol, ex. (x= v^2 - vo^2 / 2a) displacement equals (final velocity squared minus initial velocity squared) divided by (2 times acceleration). Thanks I greatly appreciate it.

Question:
    The left ventricle of the heart accelerates blood from rest to a velocity of +27 cm/s.

(a) If the displacement of the blood during the acceleration is +1.9 cm, determine its acceleration (in cm/s2).

(b) How much time does it take for the blood to reach its final velocity? (in seconds)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2008 #2
    Work Energy theorem. Work done equals energy. (Force)x(Distance)= 1/2 (mass)(velocity)^2.

Take mass out of each side of the equation. You have this written already, just apply it.

Under constant acceleration, Velocity equals acceleration x time.

4. Jun 11, 2008 #3
    Thanks,

I got 192 cm/s^2 for answer to A. And 14 s for answer to B. Seems like they would have asked for time first since I used it to figure out the acceleration.

Thanks again

5. Jul 15, 2011 #4
    Actually, the time should be 0.14 s, I'm pretty sure. Here is the equation I used to calculate time: v = vo + at (final velocity is equal to initial velocity plus acceleration times time). Therefore, t = v - vo/a, which yields 0.14 s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?