1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied math major, thinking of grad school

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    hey guys

im currently an applied math major, with a CS minor, about to enter my 4th year. I am thinking i'd like to work in robotics maybe, and might be considering getting masters-level education in EE, or systems engineering. is this an easy transition, from applied math, to engineering? what additional courses would i need to take?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

If you want an MSEE, you need to take essentially all the courses of a BSEE.

4. Sep 9, 2008 #3
    oh yea, the applied math major requires that i take
    1 year of engineering physics (mechanics, E&M) which is the same as EE's take
    i took 2 years of programming
    and as elective i have taken control systems, and DSP

am i looking at more than a year of catch up work before i can get the MSEE?

5. Sep 9, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Yes, to get a BSEE you need more than 2 year of programming and 2 electives. You should look at the BSEE requirements in your university to see where you have to catch up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?