Applied Math or Computer Science?

In summary, the individuals in the conversation are discussing the speaker's potential transfer to NJIT and their interest in double majoring in applied physics and either applied math or computer science. Although the speaker is more interested in applied math, they acknowledge the relevance and interest of computer science in today's job market. Others in the conversation agree that computer science would be a good choice for the dual major.
Jakeness
Hello everyone. Most likely, I will soon be transferring to NJIT and majoring in applied physics. NJIT offers double major programs in applied physics and either applied math or computer science. If I had to pick one out of pure interest, I would probably go with applied math; however, computer science seems much more relevant in today's job market and I also find it quite interesting. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say computer science as well.

I say computer science as well. You'll get a healthy amount of math in your physics + CS degrees

Thanks for the replies. I think the dual major with computer science is the way I'm going to go.

All in favor of computer science, say Eye...

Eye!

Eye!

1. What is the difference between Applied Math and Computer Science?

Applied Math is a branch of mathematics that involves the application of mathematical concepts and methods to solve real-world problems. It focuses on using mathematical models to analyze and predict outcomes in various fields, such as engineering, economics, and biology. On the other hand, Computer Science deals with the study of computers and computational systems, including their theory, design, development, and application. It involves programming, algorithms, and data structures to solve problems and create new technologies.

2. What skills are necessary to pursue a career in Applied Math or Computer Science?

Both fields require strong analytical and problem-solving skills. In Applied Math, a solid foundation in mathematics, statistics, and programming languages is essential. For Computer Science, proficiency in coding, algorithms, and data structures is crucial. Additionally, strong critical thinking, communication, and teamwork skills are beneficial in both fields.

3. What are the career opportunities for those with a degree in Applied Math or Computer Science?

Graduates with a degree in Applied Math can pursue careers in a variety of industries, such as finance, data analysis, operations research, and engineering. They can work as data analysts, financial analysts, statisticians, or mathematicians. With a degree in Computer Science, one can become a software engineer, web developer, data scientist, or information security analyst. They can work in various sectors, including technology, healthcare, finance, and government.

4. Can I study both Applied Math and Computer Science at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to study both fields simultaneously. Some universities offer joint programs in Applied Math and Computer Science, allowing students to gain knowledge and skills in both areas. However, it may require a heavier course load and may take longer to complete the degree.

5. What are some common applications of Applied Math and Computer Science in the real world?

Applied Math is used in various fields, such as finance, engineering, and biology, to develop models and make predictions. For example, in finance, Applied Math is used to analyze stock market trends and develop investment strategies. In engineering, it is used to design and optimize structures and systems. Computer Science has many real-world applications, such as developing software, creating artificial intelligence, and building websites and apps. It also plays a crucial role in data analysis and cybersecurity.