1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied mathematics or Electrical Engineering?

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    I've made a decision to attend school locally, so as to save some cash.

I like the idea of the applied math degree, because I have a pretty big interest in math.

But, I'm worried about the ability to find employement afterwards.

Would going after an EE degree provide a better chance at getting a decent job?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Or find a way to do both!

I studied physics initially, but did several courses in applied math. I then switched to nuclear engineering, and did additional courses in applied math. If one does physics or engineering, a strong background in applied math will help.

4. Jan 26, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

What kind of courses in applied maths do you think would help engineering students most?

5. Jan 26, 2008 #4
    What courses does your math department offer? You can take a gander at the catalog list and post them here.

6. Jan 27, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

It'll clog up this thread unnecessarily if I were to post the list here. regardless, perhaps I should ask if which of the following courses are important for electrical engineering, which I major in:

1. Advanced linear algebra (I've taken the introductory linear algebra course)
    2. Mathematical analysis (Intro-level, for math majors)
    3. Stats and probability
    4. Set theory, group theory etc.

That's all I think that's available to me. I deliberately excluded calculus because I signed up for the engineering mathematics classes, which basically covers everything from what is known as Calc 1 to Calc 3 without going into details or proofs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?