1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Physics and an Engineering Program in NL

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone, I'm new to PF. (My favorite fish is herring, so slap away. :smile:)

My question might be a bit complicated, because I suspect the answer depends a lot on location. I live in the Netherlands, and that's where I'm going to uni in september. (Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, RuG) I'm going to do Applied Physics for my undergrad studies, and I'm wondering whether this would make it possible for me to go to grad school for a MSc or PhD in an engineering field - probably ME or EE (as I ultimately want to become an engineer).

The reason I'm not going to a college in a different part of town (The RuG doesn't offer engineering degrees apart from applied physics, which technically is an engineering degree where I live) in the first place are mostly because of financial reasons (but also for a few others I won't mention here). However, I am probably able to move to another town/country/planet for graduate studies.

Applied Physics at the RuG is pretty much physics with a few different courses (e.g. Materials Science instead of Geophysics, that kind of thing). I would post a link to the degree requirements, but I need to make ten posts first. :/ Mod note: course contents is here: http://www.rug.nl/ocasys/rug/vak/showpos?opleiding=4967

In any case, some advice would be very much appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2
    Anyone?

4. May 11, 2012 #3
    Hi KiwiKid, welcome to the forums!

If you'd like to go to graduate school for EE or ME and become an engineer, why not do your undergraduate degree in EE or ME?

5. May 11, 2012 #4
    Thank you. :smile:

Financial reasons, for one. I don't like to go into detail, but suffice it to say that I've finally gotten my own room after pretty much getting kicked out of the house by my parents. Also note that we don't have dorms in the Netherlands, so I can't just apply to a college in another town and hope it all works out. I dropped out of college last year because of my depression, and I really want to get started again in September - something I cannot do were I to decide to go to college in another town. My best bet is to go to college where I'm living now, hope to get some money together, and then go to another town for my MSc/PhD.

6. May 11, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The Netherlands is not a big country. Why not travel to another university by train?? And in the meanwhile you can look for an own room.
    You probably already thought of this option and dismissed it, but I'm throwing it out there nevertheless.

It's always better to do an actual engineering degree. But I don't think you'll miss much with the applied physics degree.

7. May 11, 2012 #6
    Agreed. On the other hand, trains aren't that fast, and Groningen is in the north, whereas Delft and Eindhoven are relatively far to the south. This would mean I'd be travelling for >5h every day, which I think is too much.

I admit, I don't know a lot about the different course contents between degrees. Does this applied physics degree seem like I could relatively easily make up for any parts I missed from the engineering degrees later?

8. May 11, 2012 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I knew some people that traveled >5h each day to uni. But I admit it's not something I would do myself.

Another (naive perhaps) idea: why not complete your first year in Groningen and then tranfer to Delft or Eindhoven once you found a suitable room.

Or you can go study in Belgium where they do have dorms.

I'm not an engineer or physicist, so I can't answer that for you. But (besides actual knowledge), university teaches you an important skill: to be self-sufficient and to be able to self-study topics. So if you do the applied physics degree and if you do a masters in engineer, you will have to self-study some things (perhaps many things), but by that time you'll be able to handle it.
    I don't think you should worry to much. Even if you do the applied physics, you'll still be in a good situation provided you're willing to self-study.

9. May 11, 2012 #8
    That's a good idea, too! I hadn't thought of that. :smile:

Thanks. At least I seem to have plenty of options for the future. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook