1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Applied Physics vs Professional Physics (emphasis)

1. Aug 7, 2017 #1

DS2C

Gold Member

In pursuing a BS in Physics, my university offers an Applied emphasis and a Professional emphasis. However the class selection seems to be the same for both. I get this information from an option in my student account that allows me to theoretically change my major to a degree that I'm not yet in so that I can see what classes are required.

What is the difference? A little confused as I think no matter what you do with a physics degree, it could be considered "professional". In searching the forums, most results come up with graduate level specific information. As far as the information I've found here on a BS, it seems that "applied" means that it has a specific direction.

To give some clarity, I am not entirely sure where I'd like to focus specifically in physics but I do have a high interest in plasma physics and mathematical physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2017 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is very school-specific, and you should be addressing this question to your academic advisor, or someone in your school's physics department.

Zz.

4. Aug 10, 2017 #3

DS2C

Gold Member

Had no idea it was school specific. Thank you for the clarification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted