Applied torque/angular momemtum

Using that formula, I get a torque of 0.0495 N m, which is within a reasonable range of the previous calculation. In summary, the problem involves a vinyl record with a radius of 0.15 m and a mass of 1.5 kg on a turntable. The record's angular speed is reduced from 33.3 rev per minute to zero in 7 seconds due to an applied torque. Using the given moment of inertia, the angular speed, angular deceleration, moment of inertia, and magnitude of applied torque are calculated, with a final check confirming the accuracy of the torque calculation.
strawman
This is rewording of a question on a test I've just done.

A vinyl record on a turntable has radius R=0.15 m, mass M=1.5 kg. The angular speed is reduced from 33.3 rev per minute to zero as a result of an applied torque, in 7 seconds.

Moment of inertia given as I=1/2 M R^2

Calculate a) angular speed b) Magnitude of angular deceleration c)Moment of inertia d) Magnitude of applied torque.

My attempt.

a) angular speed, w = 33.3 x 2 pi / 60 s = 3.5 rad s^-1

b) a= dw/dt = 3.5/7 = 0.50 rad s^-2

c) I = 0.5 x 1.5 kg x 0.15^2 = 0.017 kg m^2

d)
angular momentum L = I w = 3.5 rad s^-1 x 0.017 kg m^2 = 0.059

torque = dL/dt = 0.059/7 s = 0.0084 N m

Does this look right (ignore any rounding errors). Seems quite a small magnitude for the torque.

Anyway, thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. As a check, what would you get for the torque using ##\tau = I\alpha##?

TSny said:
Looks good. As a check, what would you get for the torque using ##\tau = I\alpha##?
Thanks, that's a great check!

What is torque?

Torque, also known as moment of force, is a measure of the ability of a force to rotate an object around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance between the axis of rotation and the point of application of the force.

How is torque related to angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. Torque is the cause of changes in angular momentum, according to Newton's second law of motion for rotational motion, which states that the net torque on an object is equal to the rate of change of its angular momentum.

What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is the torque, F is the applied force, and d is the distance between the axis of rotation and the point of application of the force. Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (N·m) in the SI system.

What are some examples of applied torque in everyday life?

Some examples of applied torque in everyday life include opening a door, using a wrench to tighten a bolt, and riding a bicycle. In all of these situations, a force is applied at a distance from an axis of rotation, resulting in a torque that causes the object to rotate.

How can torque be increased or decreased?

The magnitude of torque can be increased by either increasing the applied force or increasing the distance between the force and the axis of rotation. On the other hand, torque can be decreased by reducing the applied force or decreasing the distance between the force and the axis of rotation.