Decreasing Temperature at Point (3,1) Using Gradient Vector - Homework Problem

In summary: So in summary, at the point (3,1), the gradient vector is <6,7> and the length of the gradient is approximately 9.22 units. To decrease the temperature most rapidly, one should move in the direction opposite to the gradient, which is the vector <-6,-7>. Moving a unit distance in this direction would result in the temperature decreasing by approximately 9.22 degrees.
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

The equation T(x,y) = x2y-y2 + 180 is a temperature equation at point (x,y).

If One is standing at point (3,1), what direction should he move in order to decrease the temperature?

Secondly, if one moves a unit distance in this direction found above, how much should he/she expect the temperature to drop?

Homework Equations

The Gradient Vector <fx[/,fy>

The Attempt at a Solution

So at the point (3,1) he is at a temperature of 188o.

The gradient of this function is: <2xy,x^2-2y>

so if I plug (3,1) into the gradient I get: <6,7>, which represents the rate of change of the temperature, correct?

What should I do to find what direction he needs to move?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should find a vector v such that the directional derivative [tex]D_vf(3,1)[/tex] is negative.
Note that

[tex]D_vf(a)=v_1\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(a)+v_2\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(a)+v_3\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}(a)[/tex]

So what should you do? You should first find the partial derivatives of f and evaluate them in a=(3,1). Then you should find v such that the above expression is negative...

Ok so the gradient vector is:

<2xy,x^2-2xy>, so once evaluated at point a, I get <6,7> for gradf(3,1).

Should I do anything with a unit vector of (3,1), to find the directional derivative?

It doesn't matter for the directional derivative if you're working with unit vectors. You can always transfrom a vector in a unit vector with thesame derivative.

So the gradient is (6,7). Now you'll need to find a vector (v,w) such that

[tex] 6v+7w\leq 0[/tex]

If you found this vector, then you can easily transform this into a unit vector by [tex]\frac{(v,w)}{\|(v,w)\|}[/tex].

I'm having trouble visualizing how to find the vector (v,w)...

There's no need to visualize this. You just need to find v and w such that [tex]6v+7w< 0[/tex]. For example, if v=1, for what value does [tex]6+7w<0[/tex]? There are many such w, but only 1 should do...

Oh Ok. So let's say v=1, then w= -1. So the vector would be <1,-1>.

So using that vector <1,-1> I'm then confused about how to solve the direction he should be headed towards? I shouldn't do the dot product because that would produce a scalar.. hm..

So (1,-1) is indeed a good vector. The only problem now is that this vector is centered at (0,0). We want it centered at (3,1). For this, just do (1,-1)+(3,1)=(4,0). So if you go from (3,1) to (4,0), then the temperate should decrease...

Loppyfoot said:

Homework Statement

The equation T(x,y) = x2y-y2 + 180 is a temperature equation at point (x,y).

If One is standing at point (3,1), what direction should he move in order to decrease the temperature?

Secondly, if one moves a unit distance in this direction found above, how much should he/she expect the temperature to drop?

Homework Equations

The Gradient Vector <fx[/,fy>

The Attempt at a Solution

So at the point (3,1) he is at a temperature of 188o.

The gradient of this function is: <2xy,x^2-2y>

so if I plug (3,1) into the gradient I get: <6,7>, which represents the rate of change of the temperature, correct?

No, that is not correct. The gradient vector points the direction of the maximum rate of change. The value for the maximum rate of change of T is the length of the gradient vector

If you want to move in a direction where the temperature decreases most rapidly you would move in the direction opposite to the gradient vector. And the rate at which temperature is changing in that direction is minus the length of the gradient vector at that point.

So since the gradient is <6,7>, the length of the gradient will be (36+49)^.5. So the length of the gradient is 9.22, but since it should be pointing in the direction of greatest decrease, the length of the gradient should be -9.22.

correct?

Loppyfoot said:
So since the gradient is <6,7>, the length of the gradient will be (36+49)^.5. So the length of the gradient is 9.22, but since it should be pointing in the direction of greatest decrease, the length of the gradient should be -9.22.

correct?

No, not quite. The length of the gradient vector at the point is approximately 9.22. It is nonnegative like the length of a vector always is and it doesn't change.

The length of gradient at a point gives the maximum rate of change of T and the gradient itself points in the direction of max rate of change. -T points in the opposite direction and the rate of change in that direction is -9.22. But the lengths of T and -T are equal and positive.

What is an Applied Vector Problem?

An Applied Vector Problem is a mathematical problem that involves the use of vectors to represent quantities and their relationships in a real-world scenario. It typically requires the application of vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication, to solve.

What are some examples of Applied Vector Problems?

Examples of Applied Vector Problems include calculating the resultant force on an object, determining the displacement of an object, and finding the direction and magnitude of a force in a given situation. Other examples include determining the velocity and acceleration of an object in motion, and finding the equilibrium point of a system of forces.

What are the steps to solving an Applied Vector Problem?

The steps to solving an Applied Vector Problem typically include identifying the vectors involved, drawing a diagram to represent the situation, applying vector operations to find the resultant vector, and interpreting the results in the context of the problem. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the appropriate coordinate system.

What are some common challenges when solving Applied Vector Problems?

Some common challenges when solving Applied Vector Problems include correctly identifying and representing the vectors involved, choosing the appropriate coordinate system, and correctly applying vector operations. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem-solving process.

How are Applied Vector Problems useful in real life?

Applied Vector Problems are useful in real life as they allow us to analyze and understand the physical world around us. They are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation to solve problems related to forces, motion, and direction. Understanding vector operations and their applications can also help us make informed decisions and solve practical problems in our daily lives.