1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable calculus: find the rate of change

1. Feb 28, 2016 #1
    • Missing homework template due to originally being posted in other forum.
    The problem is:
    The temperature (in degrees Celsius) of a metal plate, located in the xy -plane, at any point (x, y ) is given by the function of two variables T(x, y ) = x sin y + y2 sin x.
    (a) Find the rate of change in temperature in the direction of the positive x-axis at the point (π, π).
    (b) Find the rate of change in temperature in the direction of the positive y -axis at the point (π, π).

I am thinking that you would have to find the gradient vector of T(x,y), then plug the point (π, π). But the phrase "direction of the positive x-axis/y-axis at the point" is throwing me off. Does that mean you would have to find the directional derivative instead? So find the gradient vector then multiply it by a unit vector, but what is the unit vector?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2016 #2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The temperature (in degrees Celsius) of a metal plate, located in the xy -plane, at any point (x, y ) is given by the function of two variables T(x, y ) = xsiny + y2sin x.
    (a) Find the rate of change in temperature in the direction of the positive x-axis at the point (π, π).
    (b) Find the rate of change in temperature in the direction of the positive y -axis at the point (π, π).

2. Relevant equations
    ∇T = <tx, ty>

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am thinking that you would have to find the gradient vector of T(x,y), then plug the point (π, π). But the phrase "direction of the positive x-axis/y-axis at the point" is throwing me off. Does that mean you would have to find the directional derivative instead? So find the gradient vector then multiply it by a unit vector, but what is the unit vector?

Thanks.

4. Feb 28, 2016 #3
    The gradient of the scalar T(x,y) is given by
    ∇T = <tx, ty> = <(∂T/∂x), (∂T/∂y)>
    Here (∂T/∂x) represents the directional derivative of T w.r.t x
    and (∂T/∂y) represents the directional derivative of T w.r.t y
    The Directional derivative means rate of change of a quantity in a particular direction, so you can find gradient of T and need not to multiply by any unit vector, because it won't represent the true rate of change then(as its magnitude will be 1 then)
    Hope this helps

5. Feb 28, 2016 #4
    Yes, you're right, you need to find the directional derivative. You want the change in the x-direction, so what would be the unit vector in this direction?

6. Feb 28, 2016 #5
    Would it be <1,0>? Do I even need a unit vector for this?

7. Feb 28, 2016 #6
    So a) and b) are pretty much asking for the directional derivative of T w.r.t the variable, so a) is w.r.t x and b) is w.r.t y? It's that simple?

8. Feb 28, 2016 #7
    Yes that's the unit vector you want. Here you don't actually NEED a unit vector, since the required direction being along the x-axis you can simply take the x component of the gradient. ( but can you see that you are taking the dot product of the unit vector and the gradient vector?)

9. Feb 28, 2016 #8
    yes!

10. Feb 28, 2016 #9
    Thanks guys! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted