Apply Area and Pythagorean Theorem to a prism

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking confirmation on a math problem and receiving feedback from others. The problem involves calculating the area of a roof and determining the number of bundles needed to cover it. There is also a mention of measuring area in cubic feet and the need to buy a precise number of bundles.
Kirito123

Homework Statement

upload_2016-7-28_15-9-43.png

Homework Equations

Formula for Area of a retangle : A = L x W
Pythagorean theorem: A2 + b2 = c2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am pretty sure I did it correct but I just want to be 100% certain I will get this right, By the way its a picture cause I found it easier to just snip it then copy paste.

Thank you in advance for your help
upload_2016-7-28_15-13-16.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks ok, as long as we disregard the fact that an area isn't measured in cubic feet and the "entire roof" is not 240 sqft. Calculation A, text D . :biggrin:

He will not need approximately 15; he will need to buy exactly 15. It would not be possible to buy 0.54 of a bundle.

@har your right just noticed that and thanks you

@fresh thanks you to :)

Related to Apply Area and Pythagorean Theorem to a prism

1. What is a prism?

A prism is a three-dimensional shape with two identical polygonal bases and rectangular sides connecting them.

2. How do you find the surface area of a prism?

To find the surface area of a prism, you need to first find the area of the base. Then, multiply the base area by the height of the prism and add the areas of all the rectangular sides.

3. How do you use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the diagonal of a prism?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In a prism, the diagonal is the hypotenuse of a right triangle, so you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find its length.

4. Can the Pythagorean theorem be used to find the length of a diagonal in any prism?

Yes, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the length of the diagonal in any prism, as long as the diagonal forms a right angle with the base.

5. How is the Pythagorean theorem related to the surface area of a prism?

The Pythagorean theorem is used to find the length of the diagonal of a prism, which is one of the measurements needed to calculate the surface area of a prism. Thus, the Pythagorean theorem is an important tool in finding the surface area of a prism.