1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apply for tenure track or just full time?

1. Dec 9, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone,
    A university has two positions open: one is tenure track and the other is full time year-to-year. I am definitely fit for both, but I probably have a higher chance getting the full time (non-tenure track). Should I apply for both or it is better to just apply for the one I have a better shot at?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would apply for both. Regardless of qualification, I think that this will increase your chances of getting at least one of them.

4. Dec 9, 2014 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I tentatively agree with Orodruin, with the caveat that the search committee(s) may have distinct criteria for the TT and term positions- simply submitting the same application to both openings may not be the wisest course of action.

5. Dec 9, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree with Andy of course. You need to tailor the applications for both positions separately if you want the jobs. Sorry if this was not entirely clear.

6. Dec 9, 2014 #5
    Thanks. My only worry was if they think I am not 'good enough' for the TT they (the same search committee) will have an even less perfect image of me when they look again at my application material for the non-TT position. (Yes, I agree with you Andy, I will submit a separate application for each position).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook