1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apply for UK or US graduate schools?

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone, I'm a newbie in this forum :) I have some questions regarding application for graduate study and need your help.
    I'm currently a year 3 student and coming to final year of undergraduate life, majoring in Materials Science & Engineering. I'm considering apply for graduate schools in UK or US, but don't know which one is better. Of course, anyone can say I may apply for both. However, I also need to prepare for either IELTS or TOEFL+GRE and these are somewhat associated with my university choice. May I ask for your suggestion of UK or US, given two universities of similar quality, regarding some criteria:
    - preference of industry/research institutions (in other word, my future career)
    - availability of scholarship
    - which one tends to be easier to get in.

In addition, I'm going to graduate in June 2011. Can I apply for Oct 2011 intake this year (while I'm still in undergrad) or I have to wait until I got the bachelor degree and apply for Oct 2012 intake?

Pls help! ^^
    Thanks everyone.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2
    I am in the UK,

Don't come here, go to US or perhaps China, UK has recently had its funding budget slashed again thanks to bailing out banks.
    There are no industries here other than banking

Absolutely nearly zero scholarship for foreign student

Well, with all that conditions, not many people, by choice would do Phd here, the top of the top would go to America, its more competitive but you do have better career opportunity and probably better research opportunity.

4. May 3, 2010 #3
    Hello!I`m a Chinese.Our country has been rapidly developing,but it has a long distance behind from US or UK,especially in eduacation system and concept .I am majoring inapplied physics in NEU China,but physics are not so emphasized as the others.Many people and some governments only highly concentrate on profitable area.What are you from?And what is this case in your country ?

5. May 3, 2010 #4
    Hi, it seems that my dream of studying in UK was pronounced an end :) I really cannot afford for the fee in UK, even if I am admitted. I'm from Vietnam and studying in Nat Univ of Singapore. The future of scientific research in VN is even darker than China! In fact, majoring in computing or real estate or biz would be better choices, in the case of VN, haha.
    So, how about Japan? anyone have some ideas? Studying in JP would have a drawback of language. they are not native english speaker (so, I'll be fitted easier but my command in English will never improve ^^). I believe scientific research in JP is excellent too. Scholarship availability may be even more than UK and US :)

6. May 7, 2010 #5
    Hi, anyone has some comment?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook