Apply to multiple PhD's at a same time

In summary, the conversation revolves around a master student in physics who is planning to apply for PhD programs. They are concerned about asking their thesis supervisor for multiple recommendation letters and whether it would be considered inconsiderate in their culture. The student also mentions their plan to leave their current research group. The expert suggests that it is common and expected to apply for multiple positions and that professors are typically prepared to provide recommendation letters for multiple universities.
blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm currently a master student in the field of physics, so indeed it's not in US instead in Europe.

Now I'm approaching the end of my master studies and planning to go to a PhD program. I have found more than one destinations (which exclude my own current university) which seem to suit my interest, so it's clear that I'm wanting to try my luck applying to all of them. Since one of the requirements is recommendation letters from former supervisor I would have to ask my thesis supervisor to provide the letters multiple times. My question is what do you think, will I cause trouble for him for asking to send letters several times? The thing is I come from Asian country in which there is a common manner that students will always try to keep formal attitude in front of lecturers, and doing such thing mentioned above will probably be considered as inconsiderate to older people. I don't really know how relation between students and lecturers goes in western countries since I have been here for only 1.5 years.

In addition, as I have mentioned, I don't plan to stay in my current research group. So do you think my supervisor will be so professional so as not to feel disappointed over me and be willing to write the recommendation letters more than one? Also for you who have been admitted in PhD, did you also apply for more then one universities?

Thanks in advance for your time to share your thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is "multiple times"?
If you apply for a few positions at the same time, that is no problem - your supervisor will expect that (there is no guarantee that you get a specific position). Once he wrote the reference letter, it is no problem to send it more than once (maybe with small modifications depending on the position).
If you apply for 50 positions, it will look very odd.
blue_leaf77 said:
In addition, as I have mentioned, I don't plan to stay in my current research group.
That is very common, and it is expected that you change the group at some point.
blue_leaf77 said:
Also for you who have been admitted in PhD, did you also apply for more then one universities?
Yes.

That's really good to hear.
There are currently three positions in my mind. Two of them are abroad.

I do not know about in Europe, but in the U.S. generally a professor should expect to send a letter of recommendation maybe 10-15 times for various universities the student is applying for. It is expected, and they would be very concerned if the student were to only apply for one position.

Likes blue_leaf77

I understand the desire to apply to multiple PhD programs in order to increase your chances of being accepted into a program that aligns with your interests. It is a common practice and is not considered inconsiderate in western countries. In fact, it is expected that students will apply to multiple programs in order to find the best fit for their academic and career goals.

In regards to your concern about asking your thesis supervisor for multiple recommendation letters, it is important to remember that it is part of their job to support and mentor students in their academic pursuits. They should be understanding and willing to provide multiple letters for you. However, it is always a good idea to communicate openly with your supervisor and discuss your plans with them before asking for the letters. This can help ensure that they are aware of your intentions and can plan accordingly.

In terms of your supervisor feeling disappointed in you for leaving their research group, it is important to remember that it is your academic journey and you have the right to pursue opportunities that will best suit your interests and goals. As long as you communicate respectfully and professionally with your supervisor, they should understand and support your decision.

In my own experience, I applied to multiple PhD programs and was accepted into several of them. It is a common practice and I encourage you to do the same in order to find the best fit for your academic and career aspirations. I wish you the best of luck in your applications.

1. Can I apply to multiple PhD programs at the same time?

Yes, it is common for students to apply to multiple PhD programs simultaneously. This can increase your chances of acceptance and allow you to compare different programs.

2. Is it ethical to apply to multiple PhD programs at once?

Yes, it is generally considered ethical as long as you inform the programs that you are applying to multiple schools. This allows them to better understand your intentions and prevents any misunderstandings.

3. How many PhD programs should I apply to at the same time?

It is recommended to apply to 3-5 programs at the same time. This will give you a good range of options to choose from and increase your chances of acceptance.

4. Will applying to multiple PhD programs affect my chances of acceptance?

No, applying to multiple PhD programs should not negatively affect your chances of acceptance. Admissions committees understand that students often apply to multiple schools and will not hold it against you.

5. What should I consider when applying to multiple PhD programs?

When applying to multiple PhD programs, consider the program's research focus, faculty, and resources. It's also important to consider the location and cost of the program. Be sure to prioritize your top choices to ensure you have enough time and resources to complete each application thoroughly.