Applying a force perpendicular to an object moving in the x direction.

• Thread starter pb23me
  • Start date

Homework Statement

consider an object moving in the x direction.(1) I f you were to apply a force perpendicular to the x direction, would the magnitude of the velocity of the object in the x direction change?(2) would the magnitude of the velocity in the y direction change.(3) if you were to constantly apply a force perpendicular to the motion of an object, would the magnitude of the velocity of the object change?(4) would the direction of the velocity change? this isnt really a hw question just some stuff im trying to understand...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) i dont think it would,just the direction(2)yes i think so(3)idk(4)yes

Answers and Replies

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yes, you have the answers correct for 1, 2, and 4 (although it appears you are unsure). Regarding (3), think of this as a projectile motuion problem.

on 3 it would change in the direction at which you apply force but not in the direction of the motion of the object???

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The direction of the applied force is given as always perpendicular to the object, so that does not change, but the applied force causes an acceleration in the vertical direction, and the acceleration requires a change in velocity in the vertical direction.