Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying a heat-resistant mark to ceramic

1. Dec 12, 2008 #1
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=porcelain crucible&gbv=2

In the lab where I work we have a number of identical-looking ceramic crucibles. It would speed up my job if these could be distinguished from each other by eye. The cruicibles are regularly baked at 550ºC for a period of 3 hours. What type of paint (or other mark) could I apply that will not peel, burn or fade? (Etching or notching/chipping the crucibles is not an option.)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Coloured chalk is traditional in foundries to mark hot metal,I would have thought a regular graphite pencil would work. Depends on how smooth the glaze is.

4. Dec 12, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Engine enamel, as is used to paint car motors, or barbecue paint would probably work okay. Both are designed to withstand extreme temperatures.

5. Dec 12, 2008 #4

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

Hi-Heat Coating by Cool It

exhaust hedder paint is good to 2000 F
    cost $ 10 a can
    black or aluminum in color
    you also can get temperature indicating paint that changes color up to 621 C

6. Dec 12, 2008 #5
    Thank you for replying so quickly. Very helpful suggestions. And if ordinary graphite works then that will be extremely convenient.

7. Dec 12, 2008 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Way cool! Do you have a brand name for that?

8. Dec 13, 2008 #7

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

Tempilaq Temperature Indicating Paints
    complete kit is $ 85, has 454C, 510C, 538C, 593C and 649C brush top bottles..each of these cost $18 each...
    you can get Brake paint for $ 59 that changes color as temp goes up on calipers..6 distinct colors from 299c to 671C

we get these from pegasusautoracing.com so we can monitor correct fuel jetting and make sure brake pads are in proper range

9. Dec 13, 2008 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks. I don't have any immediate need for it, but it's nice to know that it's available.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?