Applying a heat-resistant mark to ceramic

• Thread starter m.e.t.a.
  • Start date
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=porcelain crucible&gbv=2

In the lab where I work we have a number of identical-looking ceramic crucibles. It would speed up my job if these could be distinguished from each other by eye. The cruicibles are regularly baked at 550ºC for a period of 3 hours. What type of paint (or other mark) could I apply that will not peel, burn or fade? (Etching or notching/chipping the crucibles is not an option.)

Answers and Replies

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Coloured chalk is traditional in foundries to mark hot metal,I would have thought a regular graphite pencil would work. Depends on how smooth the glaze is.

Danger
Gold Member
Engine enamel, as is used to paint car motors, or barbecue paint would probably work okay. Both are designed to withstand extreme temperatures.

Ranger Mike
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi-Heat Coating by Cool It

exhaust hedder paint is good to 2000 F
cost $ 10 a can
black or aluminum in color
you also can get temperature indicating paint that changes color up to 621 C

Thank you for replying so quickly. Very helpful suggestions. And if ordinary graphite works then that will be extremely convenient.

Danger
Gold Member
you also can get temperature indicating paint that changes color up to 621 C
Way cool! Do you have a brand name for that?

Ranger Mike
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tempilaq Temperature Indicating Paints
complete kit is $ 85, has 454C, 510C, 538C, 593C and 649C brush top bottles..each of these cost $18 each...
you can get Brake paint for $ 59 that changes color as temp goes up on calipers..6 distinct colors from 299c to 671C

we get these from pegasusautoracing.com so we can monitor correct fuel jetting and make sure brake pads are in proper range

Danger
Gold Member
Thanks. I don't have any immediate need for it, but it's nice to know that it's available.