1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying condensed matter physics/ soft matter physics to medicine

1. Nov 15, 2014 #1
    What are some ways that people are applying condensed matter physics/ soft matter physics to optimize some treatments in medicine, e.g. in magnetic hypothermia?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2014 #2

td21

Gold Member

Dear 1cmp1,
    Some examples of people applying condensed matter physics/ soft matter physics to optimize some treatments in medicine are described as follows.

Condensed matter physics:
    1. Magnetic resonance imaging in medicine is an important application of NMR.
    2. Manipulation of DNA by the attachment of latex beads with the assistance of optical traps.
    3. Delivery of drugs to the nuclei of cancer cells by star shaped gold
    nano-particles. Another example is breath-testing for cancer using gold.

Soft matter physics:
    1. Optical imaging of the motions of individual polymer chains, optical guidance of neurons
    2. Mechanical properties of cancer cytoskeleton, for example, the self-organization and rapid switching through dynamical instabilities of polymers. One example is how the cytoskeleton builds a polarized cell.

td21

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  4. Nov 15, 2014 #3
    Thanks so much.

Can you tell me anything about how condensed matter physicists contribute to research in magnetic hypothermia?

5. Nov 15, 2014 #4

td21

Gold Member

magnetic hyperthermia is developing, but i don't know magnetic hypothermia. The principle of magnetic hypothermia may rely on the heat exchange during the magnetization and remagnetization (magnetic hysteresis) of ferromagnetic nano-particles, which are injected into the cancer cells.

6. Nov 15, 2014 #5
    Sorry, predictive text changed the word, I meant magnetic hyperthermia. I understand the basic principles behind it, I am just wondering in what way condensed matter physicists contribute to research in this area?

Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook