Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying Mech Enginneering for an Independent Project

1. Jul 2, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    I am a senior in high school as of Fall 2012 and I am new to PF. Currently I'm self studying physics in preparation for the AP exam( I am aiming for C Mech, if i am prepared in time)and am taking calculus BC. My goal is to take up a project over the summer in which i could apply mechanical engineering skills, where i could get an insight into mechanical engineering while i learn the skills necessary to complete the project. I'm having trouble deciding upon a project and my search is the reason I have come across PF. Could you please give me an example of such a project that is challenging yet manageable by someone just entering the world of mechanical engineering. Your response would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2012 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

alexjc103, Welcome to Physics Forums!

How about designing and building a robotic (remote control) unicycle? Not that the item itself would be useful, but researching, designing, and building all the technology necessary would be the value.

4. Jul 3, 2012 #3
    Thanks Bobbywhy, your answer is much appreciated. I now have to research and get started on my project.

5. Jul 3, 2012 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

If you encounter doubts, conflicting information, or technical questions, then come right back here and ask away. Here there are members with high levels of education, or experience, and both. All are ready to assist you. Let us know what project you decide on.

Cheers,
    Bobbywhy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook