Applying Newton's Laws (Inertia, F=ma, Action Reaction_

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
rice1am
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hey guys,
This is my first time using these forums, so forgive me if I do/post anything wrong! Anyways, I need help on a question...and this might be on a physics test I'm having tommorow. I'm not that great in physics, so I need a bit of help. If anyone can tell me their opinion, please do so! This is quite a melon scratcher for me :(

Homework Statement


You are standing on the edge of a frozen pond where friction is neglible. In the centre of the ice is a red circle 1.0m in diameter.A prize of a megadollar will be offered if you can apply all three of Newton's laws of motion to get to the red circle and stop there. Describe what you would do to win the prize.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, rice1am, welcome to PF! Forum rules require that you show some attempt at a solution before we can be of full assistance. It might be too late now, but you might want to consider Newton 2 as to how you might apply a net force such that by Newton 3, the force acts on you to propel you forward, and then how ultimately when you approach the red circle, how Newton 1 comes into play. Then send me half a megabuck, if you so choose.
 
Thanks PhanthomJay! I'll be sure to remember for next time :)

and my physics test was killer easy! Let's just hope I pass :)