1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying Newton's Laws (Inertia, F=ma, Action Reaction_

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,
    This is my first time using these forums, so forgive me if I do/post anything wrong! Anyways, I need help on a question...and this might be on a physics test I'm having tommorow. I'm not that great in physics, so I need a bit of help. If anyone can tell me their opinion, please do so! This is quite a melon scratcher for me :(
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are standing on the edge of a frozen pond where friction is neglible. In the centre of the ice is a red circle 1.0m in diameter.A prize of a megadollar will be offered if you can apply all three of Newton's laws of motion to get to the red circle and stop there. Describe what you would do to win the prize.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, rice1am, welcome to PF! Forum rules require that you show some attempt at a solution before we can be of full assistance. It might be too late now, but you might want to consider Newton 2 as to how you might apply a net force such that by Newton 3, the force acts on you to propel you forward, and then how ultimately when you approach the red circle, how Newton 1 comes into play. Then send me half a megabuck, if you so choose.

4. Dec 18, 2008 #3
    Thanks PhanthomJay! I'll be sure to remember for next time :)

and my physics test was killer easy! Let's just hope I pass :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?