Applying to math phD programs without GRE?

In summary, the individual is applying for graduate schools in physics and applied math, with a preference for programs that combine pure and applied math. They have made a mistake by registering for only the physics GRE and not the math subject test, and have been told by a math professor that they may still be competitive without it. They have a good GPA and research experience, and are considering applying to programs that do not require the math GRE or to international universities. There is also mention of the individual's experience with physics grad school and the potential for taking the math GRE in the future.
creepypasta13
I'm applying for grad schools this fall, in physics and applied math. For the applied math, I would like to apply to programs that combine pure and applied math, rather than just separate applied math programs. But since I decided to apply to grad schools just a couple months ago, I registered for just the physics GRE, not the math subject. Its too late to take the math subject. This turned out to be a huge mistake. Also, the only proof-based math courses I've taken are linear algebra, analysis and Fourier analysis. No abstract algebra or topology

Here's my stats:
- physics gpa: 3.64, applied math: 3.93 from a top state school
- I just took the PGRE and expect to get in the mid-800s.
- I've done two different research projects, but no publications.

Applied math programs I'm thinking of applying to (since these don't require math GRE):
Maryland, UC Davis, Cornell, Harvard, Brown, Arizona, and maybe NYU (they only accept 3.5% of applicatns)

A few of the pure/applied math programs mention that they'll accept the PGRE, but most of the top-20 math programs say they highly recommend the math GRE and mention they may not even look at your app if they don't see your math GRE. I spoke to a math prof at my school about this, and he said I'll still be competitive at pure/applied math programs like NYU, UCLA, etc, even though I haven't taken the math GRE. Is that really true?

Physics news on Phys.org
creepypasta13 said:
I'm applying for grad schools this fall, in physics and applied math. For the applied math, I would like to apply to programs that combine pure and applied math, rather than just separate applied math programs. But since I decided to apply to grad schools just a couple months ago, I registered for just the physics GRE, not the math subject. Its too late to take the math subject. This turned out to be a huge mistake. Also, the only proof-based math courses I've taken are linear algebra, analysis and Fourier analysis. No abstract algebra or topology

Here's my stats:
- physics gpa: 3.64, applied math: 3.93 from a top state school
- I just took the PGRE and expect to get in the mid-800s.
- I've done two different research projects, but no publications.

Applied math programs I'm thinking of applying to (since these don't require math GRE):
Maryland, UC Davis, Cornell, Harvard, Brown, Arizona, and maybe NYU (they only accept 3.5% of applicatns)

A few of the pure/applied math programs mention that they'll accept the PGRE, but most of the top-20 math programs say they highly recommend the math GRE and mention they may not even look at your app if they don't see your math GRE. I spoke to a math prof at my school about this, and he said I'll still be competitive at pure/applied math programs like NYU, UCLA, etc, even though I haven't taken the math GRE. Is that really true?

I've also been told that one can still be competitive without taking the GRE. I've yet to start applying to PhD programs, but this is what an advisor of mine told me. I trust what he says, and he's never led me astray.

Also, if you're interested in going to NYU, but don't think you'll be accepted into the Courant Institute (NYU's school of mathematical sciences), you should check out NYU Poly. It's in Brooklyn and supposedly a very good place to work in applied mathematics. I'm going to apply there (and, of course, some other schools) when the time comes for me.

This is based off my experience with physics grad school, it's not exactly the same but it's probably close:

1) Don't count on getting into a PhD program without the relevant subject GRE.

2) You could look for programs that will let you in as a terminal masters student as those often don't require a subject test, take the math GRE while you're in the program, and then reapply into the PhD program once you have the test. The only downside is that oftentimes there is much less if any funding and/or aid for terminal masters students, but the importance of this will depend on your personal financial situation.

3) If you are open to studying abroad, international PhD programs have pretty much never heard of a GRE. If you have other reasons for studying abroad (such as wanting to master a foreign language) then studying abroad is actually a great way to kill two birds with one stone, you can pursue your language/culture interests while still earning your degree. I know for me, I was looking in Germany, the primary reason being that I studied German in college and wanted to potentially gain fluency by living there, and I discovered during all of this that the only standardized test they'd generally want is a TOEFL, which you would be exempt from as a native of an English-speaking country (if you're not from such a country, having a bachelor's from an American/British/etc university also seemed to be sufficient to get out of the TOEFL).

@creepypasta13

For Physics PhD programmes in US, I have seen a few universities which mention in their requirements "Physics GRE scores optional but strongly recommended". But one seldom hears of anyone being admitted without the subject scores especially in competitive grad programmes. I don't know if there are math grad programmes where the subject GRE is optional, but if there are, then I think it is worth giving a shot to a few of them. For applied sciences programmes, I don't know if they have stringent subject GRE requirements. If nothing works out, you can take the math GRE test next year and apply again, if you don't mind ;). Otherwise, as JasonR mentioned you can apply to international universities.

well I got varied responses from math departments that mentioned they strongly recommend but don't require the math GRE. Berkeley mentioned that they could consider the physics GRE, though not as a full replacement to the math GRE. MIT mentioned I'll probably still be competitive for admissions. Cornell says they'll accept the PGRE, but wouldn't be put near the top of the applicant pool. Chicago reviews applications without the math GRE, but the strongest applications always include it.

Should I even bother to apply to these schools?

Do they charge an application fee, and if so how much (and how much can you afford that financially)? It never hurts to send out more applications, not only does it increase your odds of getting in somewhere but you can start playing the schools off each other if you get multiple acceptances. For instance I got into Brandeis, and Columbia was dragging their feet about letting me know what their decision was; when I finally emailed them that I had other offers to respond to and could they please let me know, I got an email back later that afternoon letting me know I was in.

You can also do things like trying to play funding packages off each other. Say you want to go to school A but school B is offering you more money, you can tell school A "Gee I'd really like to go but B has a more generous funding offer, is there any way you could match that or at least increase what you're offering me?"

some of those schools, such as Berkeley, only let you apply to one department. Some others, such as Texas Austin, let you apply to multiple departments, and you only have to pay the application fee for the program that charges more. So I have little to lose in applying to multiple depts at UT Austin.

I can afford to apply to as many schools as I want, but I don't want to spend an unreasonable amount of money, and don't want to waste money applying to schools I have an extremely low chance of getting into. I plan to apply to at least 7 programs, and at most 15.

Well I'm not sure what to tell you about whether or not it's worth it from a "do I stand a reasonable chance" POV. I guess pick a couple of those longer-shots that you'd REALLY like to go to and then put your time/effort/money into several more "reasonable" choices.

A prof at northwestern pure math just told me he guesses that I'll be given serious consideration in the 2nd round, but not the 1st. So what does that mean?

creepypasta13 said:
A prof at northwestern pure math just told me he guesses that I'll be given serious consideration in the 2nd round, but not the 1st. So what does that mean?
It probably means that after they send out the first round of acceptance offers, if there are spots left (assuming few applicants decline the offers) then they might consider your application.

JasonR said:
2) You could look for programs that will let you in as a terminal masters student as those often don't require a subject test, take the math GRE while you're in the program, and then reapply into the PhD program once you have the test. The only downside is that oftentimes there is much less if any funding and/or aid for terminal masters students, but the importance of this will depend on your personal financial situation.

So if I were admitted to the MS program at a top school, and did well in my 1st year of study by taking more pure math classes, would my odds really increase in terms of being admitted into the phD program at that school, given my lack of pure math background? Not to mention that none of my current LOR writers are math professors

1. Can I apply to math PhD programs without submitting GRE scores?

Yes, many math PhD programs offer the option to apply without submitting GRE scores. Some programs may require additional materials such as a stronger academic record or letters of recommendation to compensate for the lack of GRE scores.

2. Will not submitting GRE scores affect my chances of getting accepted?

It depends on the specific program and their admissions criteria. Some programs may prioritize GRE scores while others may place more weight on other factors such as research experience or letters of recommendation.

3. Are there any specific math PhD programs that do not require GRE scores?

Yes, there are several math PhD programs that do not require GRE scores. Some examples include MIT, University of Chicago, and University of California - Berkeley. It is important to research each program's admissions requirements to determine if they require GRE scores or not.

4. Is it common for math PhD programs to waive the GRE requirement?

It is becoming more common for math PhD programs to offer the option to apply without submitting GRE scores. This is often due to the belief that GRE scores are not a strong predictor of success in graduate math programs.

5. If I have already taken the GRE, should I still submit my scores?

If a program offers the option to submit GRE scores, it is generally recommended to do so. While some programs may not place a strong emphasis on GRE scores, a high score can still strengthen your application and demonstrate your quantitative abilities.