Why Does MSC Adams Show Increasing Acceleration with Constant Torque?

• Automotive
  • Thread starter bugatti79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque Tube
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of torque to an annulus with a given polar moment of inertia and the expected acceleration. The question of how to confirm this in Msc Adams is raised and the issue of unlimited angular velocity is mentioned. It is also noted that factors such as friction and air resistance may limit the angular velocity in practice. The conversation ends with a question about the agreement between the calculated and simulated values of acceleration.
bugatti79
Hi Guys,
I have a simple annulus of radius 25mm and 15mm of length 50mm where i applieD a torque of T=100000Nmm. Its inertia about its main axis is I=124.9 kgmm2.
Therefore i expect the acceleration to be T/I.
Its not clear how to confirm this answer in Msc Adams because when i set simulation time of 0.1 or 1 sec I always get increasing velocity/acceleration.
What am I missing?

Regards
B

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you apply a fixed value torque to an object with a fixed value polar moment of inertia then it will just keep on accelerating forever ?

Then under what conditions does this Torque =inertia times alpha hold that one typically sees in textbooks?

Nothing wrong with the expression .

What is angular velocity of object after time t ? Assume zero initial velocity .

+1

In practice things like friction, air resistance, strength of materials limit the angular velocity but if you don't model those then the angular velocity is unlimited.

bugatti79 said:
Therefore i expect the acceleration to be T/I.
Its not clear how to confirm this answer in Msc Adams because when i set simulation time of 0.1 or 1 sec I always get increasing velocity/acceleration.

Does the acceleration you get in Msc Adams agree with the calculated value?

1. How does applying torque to a tube affect its strength?

Applying torque to a tube can increase its strength as it induces a tensile stress on the tube's surface. This results in the tube being less susceptible to bending and buckling.

2. What is the best method for applying torque to a tube?

The best method for applying torque to a tube is by using a torque wrench. This allows for precise and controlled application of torque, ensuring that the tube does not experience too much stress and potential damage.

3. Can applying too much torque to a tube cause damage?

Yes, applying too much torque to a tube can cause damage. This is because the tube can experience excessive stresses and deformations, leading to cracking, buckling, or even complete failure.

4. How does the material of the tube affect torque application?

The material of the tube can greatly affect torque application. Different materials have different strengths and resistance to torque, so it is important to consider the material when determining the appropriate amount of torque to apply.

5. What is the purpose of applying torque to a tube?

Applying torque to a tube is often done to strengthen it and make it more resistant to bending and buckling. It is also used to secure components or fittings to the tube, ensuring they stay in place and function properly.