Appropriate units for temp problem

• Thread starter thebigskysky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the appropriate units for h are meters squared times joules times kelvin all over seconds, as the argument of the exponential in the given equation must be unitless.
thebigskysky

Homework Statement

(T-T envir)/(T int - T envir) = exp (-(2h/pcL)t)

T = temp (°C)
h = heat transfer
p = density (kg/m^3)
c = specific heat (J/Kg * K)
L = plate thickness (m)
t = Time (s)

What are the appropriate units for h? Show all steps... (equation is homogenous in units)

The Attempt at a Solution

(°C-°C) / (°C-°C) = exp(-(h/(Kg/m*m*m)(J/Kg*K)(m)) s
temp/temp = 1
(kg/m*m*m)(J/kg*K)(m) = exp (-h * s)
(m*m*J*K) = exp (-h * s)
(m^2)(JK) / s = -h
- (m^2)(JK) / s = h ?

heat transfer = negative meters squared time joules time kelvin all over seconds ?
seems a little weird to me... what did i do wrong... ty guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Positive or negative does not matter, it is the same units. If the temperature outside is -10 deg C or +35 deg C, it is still given in deg C.

The third line of your solition does not make sense. Why the exp on the right hand side?

The argument of the exponential has to be unitless.

[-(2h/pcL)t] = 1

[h] = [pcL/t] = ...

The result certainly looks odd. You can still write J as combination of other units, but that changes little.

1. What are the different units of temperature measurement?

The most commonly used units for temperature are Celsius (°C), Fahrenheit (°F), and Kelvin (K).

2. How do I convert between different temperature units?

To convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit, use the formula (°C × 9/5) + 32 = °F. To convert from Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273.15 to the Celsius value. To convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius, use the formula (°F - 32) × 5/9 = °C. To convert from Fahrenheit to Kelvin, use the formula (°F + 459.67) × 5/9 = K.

3. Which temperature unit should I use in my calculations?

The appropriate unit for temperature in calculations depends on the specific problem and the units of other quantities involved. In most scientific applications, the Kelvin scale is preferred as it is an absolute temperature scale and does not use negative values.

4. Is it necessary to include the unit symbol when writing temperatures?

Yes, it is important to include the unit symbol when writing temperatures to avoid confusion and ensure accuracy. For example, the temperature 25 could refer to 25 degrees Celsius, 25 degrees Fahrenheit, or 25 Kelvin, but when written with the appropriate unit symbols (25°C, 25°F, or 25K), the value is clear.

5. Can I use any unit of temperature measurement for any type of temperature?

No, different units of temperature are used for different temperature ranges. For example, the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales are commonly used for everyday temperatures, while the Kelvin scale is used for scientific and extreme temperatures. It is important to use the appropriate units for the temperature range being measured.