Approximate cross section calculations

In summary: I don't know what you mean by "a local gauge transformation".In summary, the conversation discusses cross section formulas in particle physics and how to handle massless intermediate particles, as well as the transformation of gluon fields under a local gauge transformation in SU(3). The covariant derivative and the gauge field are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about the meaning of "a local gauge transformation".
kaksmet
Hello
Ive come across some approximate cross section formulas during a course of particle physics. And in a reaction like
A + B --> R --> C + D
the cross section should be something like

[tex]
\sigma = K\frac{\Gamma_R^{AB}\Gamma_R^{CD}}{(s-m_R^2)^2+m_R^2\Gamma_R^2}
[/tex]

Where K is a constant (depending on spin and color multiplicity), s is the center of mass energy sqared, m is the mass, and Gamma is the width calculated from

[tex]
\Gamma_R^{CD} = \bar{\abs{M}^2}\frac{P_C}{8\pi m_R^2}
[/tex]

My question is now how to handle a situation when the intermediate particle is mass less. Say a photon or a gluon. Can I take them as being virtual and thus having a mass which should be equal to the CM energy?

Greatfull if anyone can shed some light on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I also wonder if anyone know where I can find some info about how the gluon fields transforms under a local gauge transformation in SU(3)

[tex]
U=\{exp i \alpha(x)_a\lambda_a}
[/tex]

where alpha is a function of space (and time?) and lambda are the eight generators of the group.

thanks!

Last edited:
The question in your second post is not related to the first post, not so cleavr :-p

But anyway, you are asking in general how the Gauge fields of a non-abelian Gauge theory transforms. Information about this can be found in e.g. Peskin and Shroeder Quantum Field Theory.

Covariant derivative is:
[tex] D_{\mu}\equiv \partial _{\mu} + i A_\mu {}^aT_a [/tex]

Now we use the fact that the covariant derivative makes our lagrangian gauge invariant, thus we have that [tex] D_{\mu}\phi [/tex] transforms as: [tex] D_{\mu}'\phi' = \mathbf{U} D_{\mu}\phi [/tex].

we must have for the lagrangian to be invariant under gauge transformation:
[tex] \left( \partial _\mu + iA'_{\mu} \right) \mathbf{U} \phi = \mathbf{U}\left( \partial _\mu + iA_{\mu} \right)\phi [/tex]

Where:
[tex] A_{\mu} = A_{\mu}{}^aT_a [/tex]

(So T = lambda, this is something from a LaTeX doc- I did as project work a time ago, and I did for SU(2) but the arguments are exactly the same, but you will have index a going from 0 to 7 and not the Levi-Chivita but the structure constants of SU(3))

And [tex] \mathbf{U} = e^{i \alpha (x)^a T_a}[/tex]

It is easy to see that [tex] A'_{\mu} = \mathbf{U} A_{\mu} \mathbf{U}^{\dagger} + \xi [/tex], where [tex] \xi [/tex] now is to be determined. Using the product rule for derivatives, we find that [tex] \xi = i(\partial _\mu\mathbf{U})\mathbf{U}^{\dagger} [/tex] is suitable:
[tex] \left( \partial _\mu + iA'_{\mu} \right) \mathbf{U} \phi = \left( \partial _\mu + i\mathbf{U} A_{\mu} \mathbf{U}^{\dagger} - (\partial _\mu\mathbf{U})\mathbf{U}^{\dagger} \right) \mathbf{U} \phi = [/tex]
[tex] \partial _\mu (\mathbf{U} \phi ) - (\partial _\mu \mathbf{U}) \phi + i\mathbf{U}A_{\mu} \phi = \mathbf{U}\left( \partial _\mu + iA_{\mu} \right)\phi [/tex]

So the gauge field transforms as: [tex] A'_{\mu} = \mathbf{U} A_{\mu} \mathbf{U}^{\dagger} +i (\partial _\mu\mathbf{U})\mathbf{U}^{\dagger} [/tex]. Using an infinitesimal transformation: [tex] \mathbf{U} = 1 + i \alpha ^a(x)T_a \equiv 1 + i \alpha [/tex], we obtain to first order in [tex] \alpha [/tex]:
[tex] A'_{\mu} = (1 + i \alpha) A_{\mu} (1 - i \alpha) - \partial _\mu \alpha \Rightarrow [/tex]
[tex] A'_{\mu} = A_{\mu} - \partial _\mu \alpha - i\left[ A_{\mu} , \alpha \right]. [/tex]
Now we use that [tex] A_{\mu} = A_{\mu}{}^aT_a [/tex] :
[tex] A'_{\mu}{}^a = A_{\mu}{}^a -\partial _\mu \alpha ^a(x) + 2 \epsilon^{abc}A_{\mu}{}^b \alpha ^c(x) [/tex]

Yes alpha is function of space and time

1. What is an approximate cross section calculation?

An approximate cross section calculation is a method used in science to estimate the size or area of a cross section, which is the shape formed when an object is cut perpendicular to its length or height. It is used to determine the physical properties of an object or material, such as its volume, surface area, or density.

2. How is an approximate cross section calculated?

An approximate cross section is calculated by measuring or estimating the dimensions of the cross section and using mathematical formulas or equations to calculate its size or area. This can be done manually or with the help of computer software programs.

3. What are the applications of approximate cross section calculations?

Approximate cross section calculations have various applications in different fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and materials science. They are used to design and analyze structures, determine the strength and resistance of materials, and simulate physical processes.

4. What are the limitations of approximate cross section calculations?

One of the main limitations of approximate cross section calculations is that they provide only an estimation of the actual size or area of a cross section. This can lead to inaccuracies or errors in the results, especially if the dimensions or assumptions used in the calculation are not precise.

5. How can the accuracy of approximate cross section calculations be improved?

The accuracy of approximate cross section calculations can be improved by using more precise measurement techniques, using more sophisticated mathematical models, and incorporating more data points or variables into the calculations. It is also important to validate the results through experiments or comparisons with other methods.