1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximate uncertainty in area of circle

1. Sep 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the approximate uncertainty in the area of a circle of radius 5.3 * 104 cm? Express your answer using one significant figure.

2. Relevant equations
    A = pi*r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the given radius, I found the area to be 8.8 * 109 cm2.

And since the uncertainty is not given, I'm assuming that it's 0.1 * 104 cm.

Using this, the upper limit for the radius is 5.4 * 104 cm, which makes the upper limit for the area 9.2 * 109 cm2.

Subtracting 9.2 - 8.8 = 0.4 * 109 cm2. But this is apparently not the correct answer, and I can't figure out why. Unless I'm forgetting some fundamental aspect of significant figures, the only other way I can express this in one sig fig is to write out the actual number, i.e. 400000000; but this is also incorrect.

What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2011 #2
    If the area is A = pi*r2, then the difference in area is delta-A (sorry, I forgot all my latex). Can you relate delta-A to delta-r (the radius)? If you've taken calculus, then instead of delta-A it would be dA/dr.

4. Sep 9, 2011 #3
    I just figured it out.

Turns out it was a rounding error on my part, so what I rounded up to 4 * 108 should have actually been rounded down to 3 * 108.

5. Sep 9, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

That's the upper bound, now what's the lower bound?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook