What is the uncertainty in area and volume for a right circular cone?

In summary, the uncertainty in the area of a right circular cone with radius 10.0 cm and height 15.0 cm is +/- 14.6 cm².
Panphobia
Uncertainty partial derivatives

Homework Statement

1 a) Give expressions for the uncertainty in both the area and volume of a right circular cone with radius R and height H and side length S. Assume that the radius has uncertainty σR and the height has an uncertainty σH. <----First part that I got.

b) For a radius R = 10.0 ± 0.1 cm and height H = 15.0 ± 0.2 cm, calculator the absolute uncertainty on both the area and the volume.

Homework Equations

Surface area A = ∏*R^2 + (PI)*S*R
Volume V = (1/3)*∏*R^2*H
(S = sqrt(R^2 + H^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so my attempt at solving this question was as follows

I tried to figure out the partial derivative with respect to the radius, and with respect to the height. When you get those the formula is

I was having trouble using the latex math equations thing so I just took a picture and here it is...
if it is unclear sigma and delta mean the same thing.

2lw6ull.png

qo920g.png

now I plugged in the values R = 10.0 ± 0.1 cm and height H = 15.0 ± 0.2 cm, and I got some absurdly high values, am I right, or did I do something wrong in my partial derivatives?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations are correct, except that their left-hand sides must have squares of the deltas.

So for the volume the uncertainty is + or - 37.8, and the uncertainty for area is + or - 13.7? Did I plug them in correctly now?

I get the same for the volume, but 14.6 for the area. I ended up using a spreadsheet to compute things after a few blunders :)

I'm seeing ~ 9.1 for the area (just saying...).

Oh my...which one is right. I don't knowww

Since we all seem to agree on the volume, consider it correct. For area, I suggest you post the value you get for each term in the equation, so that we could then cross-check.

I get 187.4 for the first section until sigma r, then 27.33 for the rest. Then I add them and take the square root and get 14.6.

I get the same results. Perhaps gneill could comment on his numbers.

voko said:
I get the same results. Perhaps gneill could comment on his numbers.

Okay, I see that the base surface area is to be included and not just the lateral area of the right circular cone. I didn't notice that before :blushing: , so that explains a source of difference. My bad.

Designating the differentials of the Area as DAr and DAh, and dropping the units for the calculations so that r = 10.0, h = 15.0, then I find (keeping extra decimal places for intermediate calculations):

DAr = 136.894
DAh = 26.140

and so
$$δA = \sqrt{DA_r^2 δr^2 + DA_h^2 δh^2} = 14.6$$

What is the definition of uncertainty in science?

Uncertainty in science refers to the lack of complete knowledge or understanding about a particular phenomenon or measurement. It is the range of possible values that a measurement or observation could have, and can be caused by limitations in instruments, human error, or inherent variability in the system being studied.

Why is understanding uncertainty important in scientific research?

Understanding uncertainty is crucial in scientific research because it allows scientists to accurately interpret and communicate their findings. Without acknowledging and addressing uncertainty, research results can be misleading or inaccurate. Additionally, understanding uncertainty can help scientists identify areas for further study and improve the accuracy and reliability of their research.

How is uncertainty quantified in science?

Uncertainty can be quantified in several ways, depending on the type of measurement or data being analyzed. Some common methods include calculating standard deviation or standard error, using confidence intervals, or performing sensitivity analyses. Ultimately, the goal of quantifying uncertainty is to determine the range of possible values that a measurement could have and assess the level of confidence in the results.

What factors contribute to uncertainty in scientific measurements?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainty in scientific measurements. These can include limitations in the accuracy of instruments or tools, human error in data collection or analysis, natural variations in the system being studied, and external factors such as environmental conditions. The key is to identify and account for these factors in order to minimize uncertainty and improve the accuracy of the results.

How can scientists reduce uncertainty in their research?

There are several ways in which scientists can reduce uncertainty in their research. These can include using more precise instruments or methods, increasing the sample size or number of measurements, minimizing sources of human error through careful experimental design, and conducting repeat experiments to confirm results. Additionally, transparently reporting the level of uncertainty and potential sources of error can help improve the overall quality and reliability of scientific research.