.Area & Uncertainty: Circle Radius 3.9 x 10^4 cm

In summary, the area of a circle of radius 3.9 104 cm, with an uncertainty of 0.1 104 cm, is approximately 1.20 108 cm^2, taking into account the correct number of significant figures. This can be calculated by multiplying the radius squared by pi, and considering the error propagation in the calculation.
sadeysnow

Homework Statement

What is the area, and its approximate uncertainty, of a circle of radius 3.9 104 cm? (Hint: Assume an uncertainty in the radius of 0.1 104 cm. Use the correct number of significant figures in your answers.)

Homework Equations

I really don't know

The Attempt at a Solution

There's been a lot and scattered on paper...so I don't have one

Physics news on Phys.org
what's the area of a circle?

3.14r^2

and I did that and it wasn't the right answer...

is that 14 in "14r^2"

it should be pi.r^2

I can't read either one of you. What is a radius "3.9 104 cm" and why should "3.14r^2" be taken to have "14" in it? Is my browser rendering things wrong? Oh, yeah and since when are we using '.' for multiplication as in "pi.r^2"? You may be confusing each other.

Last edited:
oops sorry..
I thought 3 is a number (like those question numbers)..

edit: I need to get a sleep :zzz:

Error propoagation is to do with how much effect errors have in the calculation.
Simple example speed, if I know the distance to 10% and the time to 10% then the biggest error I could have in speed is 20% ( try some numbers if you aren't sure why)
Whre two numbers are multiplied the percentage errors add.

In area if I know the length to 10% and the width to 10% the worst error I could have is 20%.

1. What is the area of a circle with a radius of 3.9 x 10^4 cm?

The area of a circle is calculated using the formula A = πr^2, where r is the radius and π is approximately 3.14. In this case, the area of the circle would be approximately 4.78 x 10^9 cm^2.

2. How do you calculate the uncertainty of the circle's radius?

The uncertainty of a measurement is determined by the precision of the measuring instrument. In this case, the uncertainty of the circle's radius would depend on the precision of the tool used to measure it. For example, if the tool can measure up to the nearest 0.01 cm, the uncertainty would be ± 0.01 cm.

3. How does the radius affect the area of a circle?

The area of a circle is directly proportional to the square of its radius. This means that as the radius increases, the area increases exponentially. In this case, a small increase in the radius from 3.9 x 10^4 cm to 4 x 10^4 cm would result in a significant increase in the area.

4. Can the area of a circle be negative?

No, the area of a circle cannot be negative. The area is a measure of the space enclosed by the circle, and it is always a positive value. If the radius or the measurement used to calculate the area is negative, it would result in an error.

5. How can I use the calculated area and uncertainty of the circle to make accurate measurements?

The calculated area and uncertainty of the circle can be used to determine the precision and accuracy of future measurements. By knowing the uncertainty, you can determine the range of possible values for the area. This can help in making more accurate measurements and reducing the margin of error.