Calculating Percent Uncertainty in Area of a Circle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
fattydq
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
I am asked "What is the area and it's approximate uncertainty of a circle of radius 3.8x10^4 cm?"

Now finding the area is easy. In my text it says that when you aren't GIVEN an uncertainty, you can assume it is a reasonable figure in the last digit, so in this problem I am assuming the original value is 32,000 cm +/- 5 cm. So far so good...

Now, how do I find the percent uncertainty of my final answer? Because I know the percent uncertainty in my 32,000 cm figure, but how does this come into play after squaring it and multiplying it by pi?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

fattydq said:
I am asked "What is the area and it's approximate uncertainty of a circle of radius 3.8x10^4 cm?"

Hi fattydq! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Surely the "last digit" is the 8 … the question says 3.8x104 cm, not 3.8000x104 cm ?

If you have an error of 1% in something, does the error change if you multiply that something by π?

And what happens if you square it (try it, and see)?
 
I thought if you had a percent uncertainty...and multiplied it by something else with percent uncertainty, that you would add the two values to get the final percent uncertainty?
 
That's right! :smile:

So if you square something, then the uncertainty … ? :wink: