Approximating simple function in $L_1$ with countable base

In summary, a Lebesgue-summable function is defined on a space with measure and takes only finitely many values on specified sets. By using a countable base, we can define a new function that is equal to the original function on a set of the base and zero elsewhere. Kolmogorov and Fomin's Introductory Real Analysis states that for a small enough value of epsilon, the measure of the set where these two functions differ can be made arbitrarily small. However, it is not clear how to prove this.
DavideGenoa
Let ##f:X\to \mathbb{Q}+i\mathbb{Q}\subset\mathbb{C}##, ##f\in L_1(X,\mu)## be a Lebesgue-summable function taking only finitely many values ##y_1,\ldots,y_n\in \mathbb{Q}+i\mathbb{Q}## on the sets ##E_1,\ldots,E_n## such that ##\bigcup_{i=1}^nE_i=X##, ##\forall i\ne j\quad E_i\cap E_j=\emptyset##. Space ##X## is endowed with measure ##\mu##, which has a http://librarum.org/book/10022/196 that is a ring of sets.

By definition of countable base, for any ##E_k, k=1,\ldots,n## and any ##\varepsilon>0## there is a set of the basis ##A_k## such that ##\mu(E_k\triangle A_k)<\varepsilon##. Let us define ##A_k':=A_k\setminus\bigcup_{i<k} A_i## and the function
##f^\ast(x)= \begin{cases} y_k & \text{if } x\in A_k' \\ 0 & \text{if } x\in X\setminus\bigcup_{i=1}^n A_i' \end{cases}##

Then, Kolmogorov and Fomin's Introductory Real Analysis http://librarum.org/book/10022/196 that, "clearly", for ##\varepsilon## small enough, ##\mu\{x\in X:f(x)\ne f^\ast (x)\}## can be made arbitrarily small.

Could anybody show how to prove that ##\mu\{x\in X:f(x)\ne f^\ast (x)\}<\delta## for some choice of ##A_k##'s ?

I notice that, since ##(\bigcup_{k=1}^n E_k)\triangle(\bigcup_{k=1}^n A_k')=(\bigcup_{k=1}^n E_k)\triangle(\bigcup_{k=1}^n A_k)\subset\bigcup_{k=1}^n(E_k\triangle A_k)##, the inequality ##\mu((\bigcup_{k=1}^n E_k)\triangle(\bigcup_{k=1}^n A_k'))\leq\sum_{k=1}^n\mu(E_k\triangle A_k)<n\varepsilon ## holds. We also have that ##f^\ast(x)\ne f(x)\Rightarrow x\in X\setminus\bigcup_{k=1}^n(A_k'\cap E_k)=\bigcap_{k=1}^n (A'^c_k\cup E_k^c) ## where I use the notation ##S^c:=X\setminus S##. An inclusion of ##\bigcap_{k=1}^n (A'^c_k\cup E_k^c) \subset M## such that ##\mu(M)## is arbitrarily small would prove the desired result, but I am not sure we can find one...
Thanks such that ##\mu##(my thanks)##=+\infty##! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much! No, I have come to no new conclusion...

What is the purpose of approximating simple functions in $L_1$ with a countable base?

The purpose of approximating simple functions in $L_1$ with a countable base is to simplify the process of representing and manipulating functions. By using a countable base, the function can be decomposed into a linear combination of simpler functions, making it easier to analyze and approximate.

What is the difference between $L_1$ and $L_2$ function spaces?

The main difference between $L_1$ and $L_2$ function spaces is the way they measure the distance between functions. $L_1$ uses the absolute value of the difference between two functions, while $L_2$ uses the squared difference. This difference in measurement leads to different properties and characteristics of the function spaces.

What are the advantages of using a countable base for approximating functions in $L_1$?

One of the main advantages of using a countable base for approximating functions in $L_1$ is the ease of computation. By using a countable base, the function can be represented as a finite linear combination of simpler functions, making it easier to manipulate and analyze. Additionally, using a countable base can also lead to more accurate approximations compared to using a finite base.

Can any function in $L_1$ be approximated with a countable base?

Yes, any function in $L_1$ can be approximated with a countable base. This is because $L_1$ is a function space that contains all integrable functions, and a countable base can represent any function in this space. However, the accuracy of the approximation may vary depending on the choice of the countable base.

How does the choice of countable base affect the accuracy of the approximation in $L_1$?

The choice of countable base can greatly affect the accuracy of the approximation in $L_1$. A well-chosen countable base can lead to a more accurate approximation, while a poorly chosen base may result in a less accurate approximation. It is important to choose a countable base that is appropriate for the function being approximated in order to achieve the desired level of accuracy.