Approximating the Edge of a Lens as a Prism

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the radius of curvature of a lens using the Lensmaker's Formula and the minimum thickness of the lens using Pythagoras' Theorem. It also mentions the assumption of negligible thickness in deriving the formula and the uncertainty of using the tangent to approximate the angle between curved and planar surfaces. The conversation also mentions parts (c) and (d) of the problem, which involve finding the angular deviation and recalculating the focal length of the lens respectively. The latter part introduces the concept of spherical aberration.
Mr_Allod
Homework Statement
A convex planer lens has Diameter D = 3cm, focal length f = 10cm and refractive index n = 1.5
a. Find the minimum thickness of the lens which maintains the diameter D = 3cm
b. Approximate the top/bottom edge of the lens as a prism and find the angle ##\theta## shown.
Relevant Equations
Lensmaker's Formula: ##\frac 1 f = \frac {n_2-n_1} {n_1} \left( \frac 1 R_1 - \frac 1 R_2 \right)##
Convex - Planer Lens.JPG
Tangent to Circle.JPG
Prism.JPG

Hello there, for part a. of this problem I thought I should try to find the radius of curvature R of the lens using the Lensmaker's Formula. Then it would be quite easy to find the minimum thickness T by just finding the thickness of the circle segment using Pythagoras' Theorem. But part of deriving the Lensmaker's Formula is making the assumption that the thickness of the lens is negligible, so ##T \to 0##. So I'm not sure if I can actually use it here?

For part b., assuming that I know the thickness T, my first thought was to find the tangent to the circle at the point where the curved and planer surfaces meet. Then I would have the relationship $$90^{\circ} = \theta +\phi$$
And I would be able to find ##\theta## with trigonometry. But I don't know if this is the correct way to approximate the angle between the curved and planer surfaces, its just a guess that made sense to me at the time. So if there is a more accurate way to approximate it I would appreciate it if you could let me know. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a plan. Your expression for the angle is exact for the edge as drawn. Is there a part (c) to the question? (I know what I would want for extra credit!)

hutchphd said:
Sounds like a plan. Your expression for the angle is exact for the edge as drawn. Is there a part (c) to the question? (I know what I would want for extra credit!)

Ah thank you, I'm glad to hear my hunch made sense.

Yes there is in fact a part (c) and also a part (d) actually, for part (c) we are asked to find the Angular Deviation of this approximated prism.

Then in part (d) the objective is to recalculate the focal length of the lens by finding the point of intersection of rays passing through the top and bottom edges. I'm guessing the new focal length will be slightly different from the original 10cm because of the prism approximation.

Yes that's a nice question and instructive. And you get to do the trigonometry, and are introduced to spherical aberration.

What is the purpose of approximating the edge of a lens as a prism?

The purpose of approximating the edge of a lens as a prism is to simplify the calculation of the refraction of light passing through the lens. This approximation assumes that the lens is made up of many small prisms, allowing for easier analysis of the light's path.

How accurate is the approximation of a lens edge as a prism?

The accuracy of this approximation depends on the size and shape of the lens. For smaller lenses with less curvature, the approximation may be more accurate. However, for larger and more complex lenses, the approximation may introduce significant errors.

What are the limitations of approximating a lens edge as a prism?

One limitation is that this approximation assumes the lens is made up of many small prisms, which may not be the case for all lenses. Additionally, the approximation does not account for other factors that may affect the refraction of light, such as the material of the lens or the wavelength of the light.

How does the angle of incidence affect the refraction of light in a lens approximation?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which light enters the lens, plays a crucial role in the refraction of light in a lens approximation. As the angle of incidence increases, the amount of refraction also increases, causing the light to bend more as it passes through the lens.

Can this approximation be used for all types of lenses?

This approximation is most commonly used for thin lenses, which are lenses with a small thickness compared to their radius of curvature. It may not be as accurate for thicker lenses or lenses with complex shapes, such as aspherical lenses.