1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximation e number using taylors polynomial

1. Aug 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well, this problem is quiet similar to the one I've posted before. It asks me to approximate to the e number using taylors polynomial, but in this case tells me that the error must be shorter than 0.0005

2. Relevant equations

[tex]R_{n+1}=\displaystyle\frac{f^{n+1}(z)(x-x_0)^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}\leq{\epsilon}[/tex], [tex]0<z<1[/tex]

[tex]x_0=0[/tex] [tex]x=1[/tex] [tex]f^{n+1}(x)=e^x[/tex] [tex]\epsilon=0.0005[/tex]

[tex]P_n(x)=1+x+\displaystyle\frac{x}{2!}+...+\displaystyle\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

[tex]\delta=n+1[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried using the function [tex]f(x)=e^x[/tex] at [tex]x_0[/tex] [tex]\epsilon=0.0005[/tex]
    [tex]f^n(x)=e^x[/tex]

Then

[tex]P_n(x)=1+x+\displaystyle\frac{x}{2!}+...+\displaystyle\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

[tex]P_n(1)=1+1+\displaystyle\frac{1}{2!}+...+\displaystyle\frac{1}{n!}[/tex] which tends to e as n tends to infinity.

But now I don't know how to get the n, so I get the degree for the polynomial with the error it asks me.

[tex]R_{n+1}=\displaystyle\frac{f^{n+1}(z)(x-x_0)^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}[/tex] [tex]0<z<1[/tex]

Lets call [tex]\delta=n+1[/tex]

[tex]R_{\delta}=\displaystyle\frac{e^z}{\delta!}\leq{0.0005}[/tex] then

[tex]\displaystyle\frac{e^z}{0.0005}\leq{\delta!}[/tex] I know between which values I can find z, but I don't know how to work the factorial in the inequality.

Am I proceeding right?

Bye there.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

On the interval [0, 1], e1 < 3.

4. Aug 12, 2010 #3
    Right, I must use the bigger value on the interval. Then I've got [tex]6000\leq{\delta!}[/tex] So I must use [tex]delta=8[/tex]? but if I use e on the calculator I think I get that seven is a better approximation for it, and I think it works for seven. What you say Mark?

Sorry, I was wrong. You're right, so [tex]\delta=8[/tex]

5. Aug 12, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I wouldn't introduce another variable, [itex]\delta[/itex]. Just work with n + 1.

6. Aug 12, 2010 #5
    Thanks Mark ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook