Approximation of second derivative of a smooth function

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation that approximates the second derivative. The limit of h approaching 0 is the only reason it is considered an approximation. The term $$ \mathcal{O}(h^2) $$ represents the remainder for small h, and is included to describe the second derivative of ## \varphi ##.
TheCanadian
Hi,

I've attached an image of an equation I came across, and the text describes this as an approximation to the second derivative. Everything seems to be exact to me (i.e. not an approximation) if the limit of h was taken to 0. Is that the only reason why it's said to be an approximation or is there any other reason? Also, what exactly is $$ \mathcal{O}(h^2) $$ and why is it included? Isn't the first whole term (i.e. the fraction) the only necessary term to describe the second derivative of ## \varphi ##?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 5.15.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 5.15.08 PM.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
The second derivative is the limit to the fraction as h>0. [itex]O(h^2)[/itex] means the remainder for small h is roughly a constant times [itex]h^2[/itex].

1. What is the second derivative of a smooth function?

The second derivative of a smooth function is the rate of change of the first derivative. It represents the curvature or concavity of the function at a given point.

2. How is the second derivative of a smooth function approximated?

The second derivative of a smooth function can be approximated using numerical methods such as the finite difference method, central difference method, or Taylor series expansion.

3. Why is approximating the second derivative of a smooth function important?

Approximating the second derivative of a smooth function is important because it allows us to determine the rate of change of the first derivative and understand the behavior of the function at a given point.

4. What are the applications of approximating the second derivative of a smooth function?

Approximating the second derivative of a smooth function has many applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used in optimization problems, curve fitting, and modeling physical systems.

5. Can the second derivative of a non-smooth function be approximated?

No, the second derivative of a non-smooth function cannot be approximated as it does not exist. A non-smooth function has discontinuities or sharp corners, which prevent the calculation of the second derivative.