1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximations used in solving for the electric field

1. Apr 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose we have a rod of length L oriented on the z-axis so that the bottom end is at z= - L/2 and the top end if at z = L/2. Furthermore, the rod is uniformly charged with charge density 'λ'. Now we are interested in finding the electric field at a point x away from the midpoint of the rod. If this distance is very far away so that x>>L. What is the electric field at x?

2. Relevant equations
    E = (λ/4πεx)*(L/√(x_squared + (L_squared/4))), in the x hat direction.
    (Sorry for the mess, I'm new here and am not familiar with Latex or any other methods of typing mathematical equations).
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Now my intuition tells me that if x>>L, then x/L>>1 or L/x must equal about 0. I see an L/x term in my equation and if I apply the latter approximation my electric field becomes zero. If I am very, very far away from the charged rod, I shouldn't feel its effects. However, another solution I see is to factor out the x_squared from the denominator to get E = (λ/4πεx_squared)*(L/√(1 + (L_squared/4x_squared))) THEN apply the approximation to get rid of the L_squared/4x_squared term and arrive at a final answer of E = λL/4πεx_squared, in the x hat direction. What is wrong with my initial attempt?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi. Nothing wrong with your initial shot: the L/x factor stays in there (after all you are looking at te x-dependence) and you get $$|E| = {\lambda L\over 4 \pi\varepsilon_0 x^2} = {1\over 4 \pi\varepsilon_0} \, {Q\over x^2} $$ just like from a simple charge at the origin -- and just like your second approach.

By the way: Hello Karo, :welcome: (in case you weren't welcomed yet).

##\LaTeX## is fun. Check out the intros. Start with ##\#\# ## a^2 + b^2 = c^2 ##\#\# ## to get ## a^2 + b^2 = c^2 ##.
    Proceed with right-mouse click over an equation and "Show math as ##\TeX## commands"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted