Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

April came two weeks earlier this year

1. Mar 16, 2017 #1

Demystifier

Science Advisor

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2017 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you post it under BSM forum, I think it's therefore legitimate to ask what is the standard model of the theory of humor?:rolleyes:

4. Mar 16, 2017 #3

Demystifier

Science Advisor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theories_of_humor
    There are several standard models of humor, but they are all classical.

5. Mar 16, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Mar 16, 2017 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

All people like humor, so in theory all people should like dark humor. Yet, only a small fraction of people likes dark humor, which is one of the biggest mismatches between theory and experiment in psychology.

7. Mar 16, 2017 #6

strangerep

Science Advisor

8. Mar 16, 2017 #7
    Being a bit dim, I could never understand virtual jokes, although I do know that they must be fundamental objects for advanced AI. to happen.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  9. Mar 16, 2017 #8
    The joke is that the paper actually has nothing to do with physics. It's all just a linear algebra model of cognition. The paper could have been written without the word 'quantum' appearing once.

10. Mar 17, 2017 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is not in that group.
    They just use pieces of mathematics also used in quantum theory.

11. Mar 17, 2017 #10

rubi

Science Advisor

Psychologists have recently started to look into these quantum models. The point is that quantum probabilities are a generalization of classical probabilities that allow for the occurency of contextuality. In fact, contextuality is precisely the difference between quantum probabilities and classical probabilites. Psychology makes heavy use of statistics and hence it is natural that probability theories that allow for more general statistical features (such as i.e. entanglement) would eventually be applied outside of physics as well. I think this kind of research is exactly what needs to be done. Quantum mechanics is still kind of mysterious and if we can find examples of quantum statistics in other fields like psychology or maybe economics, we might also learn something about physics as well.

12. Mar 17, 2017 #11

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I wouldn't agree, but that's not a thread on quantum foundations, so I will not elaborate. :smile:

13. Mar 17, 2017 #12

rubi

Science Advisor

I mean this in a very precise mathematical sense. Classical probability theory is mathematically equivalent to quantum theory with only commuting observables. However, if you allow for non-commutativity, your theory will automatically be contextual (unless possibly ##\mathrm{dim}(\mathcal H)=2##). All quantum mechanical phenomena are consequences of this non-commutativity and hence contextuality.

14. Mar 17, 2017 #13

DrClaude

If this hadn't been posted by you, I would have slapped it with an "unacceptable sources" warning. Seriously...

15. Mar 17, 2017 #14

rubi

Science Advisor

16. Mar 17, 2017 #15

Demystifier

Science Advisor

But it's published in a peer reviewed journal with IF>2. :wideeyed:

17. Mar 17, 2017 #16

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not to mention "complex Dilbert space".

Dilbert spaces arise naturally and frequently in humour, typically as infinite(± 2)-dimensional ill-functioning office spaces.

18. Mar 17, 2017 #17

DrClaude

I think you are mistaking Frontiers in physics with Frontiers of physics. The latter has an impact factor > 2, the former is not listed by TR, but used to be listed on Beall's list of predatory journals.

19. Mar 17, 2017 #18

Demystifier

Science Advisor

You are absolutely right!

20. Mar 17, 2017 #19

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  21. Mar 31, 2017 #20

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted