Arbitrary Union of Sets Question

In summary, the notation ##\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}A_{n}## represents the union of all sets ##A_n## for all natural numbers ##n##, and ##\bigcap_{n\in\mathbb{N}}A_{n}## represents the intersection of all sets ##A_n## for all natural numbers ##n##. To prove that two sets are equal, one must show that they contain the same elements. In this case, to prove that ##\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}A_{n}=\mathbb{N}##, one must show that every natural number is contained in the union, and to prove that ##
TyroneTheDino

Homework Statement

For each ##n \in \mathbb{N}##, let ##A_{n}=\left\{n\right\}##. What are ##\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}A_{n}## and ##\bigcap_{n\in\mathbb{N}}A_{n}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this involves natural numbers some how, I am just confused on a notation thing.
Is ##\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}A_{n}= \left \{ 1,2,3,... \right \}## or##\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}A_{n}= \left \{ \left\{1\right\},\left\{2\right\},... \right \}##.

To me it makes more sense that this is set of each set of every natural numbers, but somehow I think this is wrong and can't wrap my head around it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement is incomplete, it doesn't describe ##A_n##.

In terms of notation,
  • ##x \in \cup_{n\in\mathbb{N}} A_n ## if and only if there exists ##n\in\mathbb{N}## such that ##x\in A_n## (##x## belongs to at least one of the ##A_n##).
  • ##x \in \cap_{n\in\mathbb{N}} A_n ## if and only if ##x\in A_n## for all ##n\in\mathbb{N}## (##x## belongs to all ##A_n##).

geoffrey159 said:
The problem statement is incomplete, it doesn't describe ##A_n##.

In terms of notation,
  • ##x \in \cup_{n\in\mathbb{N}} A_n ## if and only if there exists ##n\in\mathbb{N}## such that ##x\in A_n## (##x## belongs to at least one of the ##A_n##).
  • ##x \in \cap_{n\in\mathbb{N}} A_n ## if and only if ##x\in A_n## for all ##n\in\mathbb{N}## (##x## belongs to all ##A_n##).
I updated it to define An.

TyroneTheDino said:

Homework Statement

For each ##n \in \mathbb{N}##, let ##A_{n}##. What are ##\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}A_{n}## and ##\bigcap_{n\in\mathbb{N}}A_{n}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this involves natural numbers some how, I am just confused on a notation thing.
Is ##\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}A_{n}= \left \{ 1,2,3,... \right \}## or##\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}A_{n}= \left \{ \left\{1\right\},\left\{2\right\},... \right \}##.
##\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}A_{n}## means ##A_1 \cup A_2 \cup \dots \cup A_n## and similar for the intersection.
TyroneTheDino said:
To me it makes more sense that this is set of each set of every natural numbers, but somehow I think this is wrong and can't wrap my head around it.

Ok so you infered that the union was equal to ##\mathbb{N}##. How do you prove that two sets are equal ?

1. What is the definition of an "Arbitrary Union of Sets"?

An Arbitrary Union of Sets is a mathematical operation that combines all the elements from two or more sets into a single set. It is denoted by the symbol ∪ and is also known as a Union of Sets.

2. How is an Arbitrary Union of Sets different from a Union of Sets?

An Arbitrary Union of Sets allows for the combination of any number of sets, including infinite sets, while a Union of Sets only combines two sets at a time. This means that an Arbitrary Union of Sets is more general and can produce larger sets than a Union of Sets.

3. Can an Arbitrary Union of Sets produce empty sets?

Yes, an Arbitrary Union of Sets can produce empty sets. This can happen if all the sets being combined have no common elements. For example, the Arbitrary Union of the sets {1,2} and {3,4} would result in an empty set, as there are no elements that are present in both sets.

4. How is an Arbitrary Union of Sets used in real life?

An Arbitrary Union of Sets is used in various fields, such as computer science, statistics, and economics. It is used to combine data from different sources, such as surveys, experiments, and databases, to create a larger and more comprehensive dataset for analysis. It is also used in set theory to prove mathematical theorems and in logic to formulate logical arguments.

5. Are there any limitations to an Arbitrary Union of Sets?

Yes, there are some limitations to an Arbitrary Union of Sets. One limitation is that it can only combine sets that have the same type of elements, such as numbers or letters. It cannot combine sets with different types of elements, such as numbers and colors. Additionally, it is important to consider the order of the sets being combined, as the resulting set may differ if the order is changed.