Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc length parametrisation question (error in notes?)

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    This is from my course notes

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2630/ckyl.jpg [Broken]

In line 3, there's the integral [tex]\int_0^t ||y'(s)||ds[/tex] which represents the length of the curve as a function of t (which I am thinking of as time). Here, I think s is a dummy variable for time.

The equation in line 4, however, says that s is an element of [0, |C|] which seems to imply that s iis a length. Here, it makes sense, because [itex]\sigma[/itex] maps time to length, and so [itex]\sigma^{-1}[/itex] maps length back to time, which goes into the function y and y(t) is spit out (the position vector function of the curve.

But back to the integrand, ||y'(s)|| where the variable s is a length makes no sense to me because y is meant to be function of time, not length. Is there something I'm misunderstanding here?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

t is the label on the x-axis; s is the arc length. The definitions used here have s=0 when t=0, and that s=|C| when t=1.

4. Oct 5, 2013 #3
    Isn't t a time parameter which is not represented on the coordinate axes?

5. Oct 8, 2013 #4

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

- if you integrate the speed vector of a parameterized curve whose derivative is never zero( which guarantees that the curve can not back up on itself) the the integral equals the length of the curve.

- y is just the position in Euclidean space of the curve. It can be a function of many different parameters. s is the parameter whose value equals the length of the curve that has been traversed up to that point.

- There is no real concept of time here as in physics. t is just a parameter. s is another parameter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook