Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Arc Length parameterization.

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    This is an example in book by Howard Anton:

Vector form of line is ##\vec r=\vec r_0+t\vec v## where ##\vec v## is parallel with the line. So both ##\vec r## and ##\vec r_0## are POSITION VECTORS.

To change parameters,
    1)Let u=t ##\Rightarrow\; \vec r=\vec r_0+u\vec v##.

2) ##\frac {d\vec r}{du}=\vec v\;\Rightarrow\;|\frac {d\vec r}{du}|=|\vec v|##

##s=\int_0^t |\frac {d\vec r}{du}|du=t|\vec v|\;\Rightarrow\; t=\frac{s}{|\vec v|}##

3)##\Rightarrow\; \vec r=\vec r_0+\frac{s}{|\vec v|}\vec v##

My question is in #2 above. In order for ##\frac {d\vec r}{du}=\vec v## which is the tangent vector of the curve traced by ##\vec r ##, ##\vec r ## has to be a VECTOR VALUE FUNCTION, NOT JUST A POSITION VECTOR. This means ##\vec r =\vec r(w)## where w is the independent variable that make the tip of ##\vec r## tracing out the line when w increases or decreases.( of cause it can be a vector value function of many variables also).

As you see, my problem is there are TWO parameters, t and w. The book only change parameter of t, which has nothing to do with the vector value function ##\vec r(w)##. t only tell the line is multiple of ##\vec v##. In another word, this example totally miss the point in changing parameter. The parameter needed to be change is w, not t.

Please comment on this.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2
    Further more, the next example is to find arc length parametrization of the line where ##x=2t+1,\;y=3t-2## with ##\vec r_0=<1,-2>## and parallel to vector ##\vec v=\hat x 2+\hat y 3##

##\Rightarrow \vec r=\vec r_0+s\frac{\vec v}{|\vec v|}=(\hat x-\hat y 2)+s\frac{\hat x 2 +\hat y 3}{\sqrt{13}}##

Thereby after change of parameter:

##x=\frac {2}{\sqrt{13}}s+1,\;y=\frac {3}{\sqrt{13}}s-2##

This example use the same variable t as the parameter for x and y. Can you even do that? As I explained in the last post, there should be two independent variables w and t, not just t alone. Please comment on this also. I am confused.

4. Apr 9, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The components of a vector can be expressed in terms of some parameter t. In post 2 above, think of the x and y as being the number of unit vectors i and j combined, according to values for the third parameter t.

If the vector R(t) = [x(t), y(t)], then as t runs from 0 to 2, R(0) = [1,-2] thru R(2) = [5,4] and all values in between, consistent with the definition of x and y in terms of t.

Essentially, R could be defined as R(t) = [(2t+1),(3t-2)] instead.

5. Apr 9, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the response, I also work it out while I was waiting. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook